Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Monday, October 14, 2013

SPIDERS AND SNAKES!


Things are slowly taking shape in our “getting ready to leave” part of our lives.
 

Since we’ve been closed for the season, I’ve actually been able to get outside and enjoy the weather and get some MUCH NEEDED exercise!  And get some wonderful fall shots along the way.  The problem is, when I take my camera with me, I don’t walk as fast as I do if I DON’T take it with me.
 

However, the other day on one of my walks, I literally stumbled across a good size snake sunning himself in a pile of leaves (at least that is what Dan said he was doing; I SAY HE WAS OUT TO GET ME AND HE KNEW I’D BE WALKING THAT WAY AROUND THE CAMPGROUND!). 
 

You would have been very proud of me; I only let out a little “Jeez!  Where the #%$BE) did you $$%*# come from, you as$$%)BY## snake!”  I’m sure the only neighbors that heard me were the ones that were not in their shower or not trying to start a logging truck.  I finally regained my composure (not really) and realized that if I didn’t stop hopping up and down that something worse could happen…like me slipping in the wet leaves and ending up a LOT closer to the snake (who really didn’t give a darn that I was there acting like a person who’d been taken by surprise by a $&#@4 snake!).
 

I continued to saunter (yeah, right) past the sunbathing creepy snake and managed to finish up my walk and get my heart rate back down to an easy 120 beats per minute.  Just that slight run in made me feel creepy and jumpy.
 

When I returned to my office I took off my camera, my coat, may hat, my gloves and was almost ready to get down to the business of transferring the photos to my computer….but I just kept thinking about that snake and was still feeling fortunate that I’d managed to get thru that close encounter  unscathed.
 

I walked into my office and was JUST about ready to set down in my chair and I noticed a great big hairy spider on the floor by the wheels on my chair.  Once again, I went into my stationary panic mode.  I hate spiders and if you’ve been reading my blog for long, you already know that.  He just set there; I could just feel those beady eyes staring holes into my skin…he was just waiting to pounce.  I know from boundless experience it was a wolf spider…and the only good wolf spider is a DEAD wolf spider.  I straightaway brought my size 9 ½ shoe right down on top of him. 

THERE!  TAKE THAT YOU $(^$_)#%% SPIDER! 

It took a lot for me to even do that because they WILL jump at you. 
 
 


To make sure he was good and dead, I ground my foot into the carpet…then quickly stepped away (after all, I’ve seen them go thru the whirling blades of a lawn mower and come away with everything intact, including their hideous, hairy legs and umpteen eyes.)

 

I was satisfied that I’d squashed that sucker flat and took a look to see how much of a mess I’d made of the carpet.  HE HADN’T OOZED AT ALL!!!  In fact he didn’t look much different than he did before I stomped on him!!  Now that is scary!!!  I let him have it good and he doesn’t appear none the worse for it???
 

By this time, the steam had cleared off my glasses and I got a really good look at this hairy clump of legs and eyes…and realized that I had just spent my morning workout trying to kill a big piece of crumbled up thread!!!   ARRGGHHH!!! 
 

Please tell me that you have done something just as foolish?

1 comment:

  1. Oh yeah ~ I've done some thread stompin' in my days too! lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive