Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Saturday, June 15, 2013

63 DAYS AND COUNTING

One of the people that we met and worked with this past winter inspired me in several ways.  She had over-come so many physical problems and a life that was far from perfect (well, until she met  her hubby many years ago!).  She ALWAYS has a big, bright smile on her face and never has a negative thing to say about anything or anyone.  She believes strongly in the power of positive thinking.

Now, there ARE some things I can be positive about.  I know we are all positive about death and taxes, right?  But I decided to start thinking extremely positive thoughts about our property selling by August 17th, of this year.  So today it is 63 days before it WILL be sold.  In the meantime, I won't walk under any ladders, cross paths with a black cat or break any mirrors...which I've never done anyway so that should be an easy feat!

This coming Wednesday, I have an appointment with a hematologist/oncologist.  I saw this Dr several years ago, like around 2003-2004.  He did all kinds of tests, including bone marrow, sent me to all kinds of other "ologists" and no one could figure out why the extremely low white blood count.  It has haunted me all these years and it is the lowest it has been  over the past several years.  But then, another part of my labs showed a big drop in the seg (NOT sed) rate so my doc wanted me to see the other doc again. 

I finally have my appointment and now I am glad that I do.  At first I figured it was going to be a waste of time and money, but I KNOW something is not right...and I think it is my thyroid.

In the fall, before we left for the winter, I had all my annual lab work done and the TSH test was off.  (thyroid)  Doc said it was slightly underactive but did not want to start any meds while we were gone and we'd check it again when we returned in the spring.

In April I had all my labs done again and the TSH test was fine.  I was having some strange not very often symptoms but didn't think much about it.  It's been so long since I've felt "normal" that I don't know what that feels like anymore...if that makes sense.

Anyway, since seeing my doc and finally getting the other appointment set up for Wednesday, these symptoms have gotten worse.  The one that really scares me is in the morning for at least the first 2-3 hours that I am up, it feels like someone or something is squeezing my neck and it is hard to breathe.  And just getting up anymore is NOT something I want to do.  And I've ALWAYS been the one to rise and shine, all at the same time without feeling like I've been run thru the wringer....not anymore.

Then there is this issue with my tongue...it feels too big for my mouth (and that's a big deal for a big mouth like me!!).  I even bite the back sides of my tongue while I am talking, you can imagine what sleeping does to my tongue.

So I did a search on "tongue too big for my mouth".  I found a Dr in Michigan online who specializes in thyroid problems and explains how they go undiagnosed for years because docs assume that if the TSH test is normal, so is the thyroid.  There are other tests that he runs and of course I wrote those all down.  He also said another telling factor of an underactive thyroid is the tongue.  He had a photo of a woman with her tongue sticking out and it was scalloped on both sides..SO IS MINE.  I think this comes from the tongue being in close contact with the teeth all the time.

Long story short, my doc is on vacation, but his RN reviewed the note I had left for him and ordered a bunch of  blood tests, which I had done Thursday a.m. Since these are specialized blood tests, they had to be sent out and the results won't be back till Tuesday, the 18th...the day before my appointment.

Another thing hypothyroidism can cause is high BP.  I have never had an issue with my BP till last fall.  Even trying three different kinds of meds over the course of the past 8 months has not helped.

So, yep, kind of anxious to be seen by this Dr again.  And of course, I am hoping and thinking positively Alice, that it will be an easy fix.  Most likely thyroid meds won't do anything for my white blood count, but maybe I will start feeling better and more like myself.  Fingers are crossed!  I'll let ya know!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Cathy, It sure sound to me like you're onto something with your thyroid. I know thyroid problems are difficult to diagnose with the "basic" tests and without many visible symptoms, but I'd say you'll have a very productive meeting with the docs to sort this out. Gosh, it would be great for you to get to the bottom of this and I know meds are available to help. so fingers crossed and I'm sending you VERY positive vibes for your test results and appointment, as well as your property selling FAST.

    Keep me posted. xoxoxo jj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! If anyone I "know" is a positive thinker it is you!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous3:19 AM

    soi take it you have had an offer that you accecepted on your property

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, no offer, just thinking positive!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous6:42 AM

    Hi y'all
    My wife Barbara had some problems and our doctor sent her to a Endocrinologist and was diagnosed with Hyperparathyroidism, a large left upper parathyroid tumor posterior to the thyroid gland. We went to Emory in Atlanta for surgery 8 weeks ago and seems to have given her some relief.
    We will be remembering you in our prayers.
    Al Mills Conductor SAM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you!!!! THAT is some diagnosis that your wife had! I will have to check that info out a bit more thoroughly. I've not heard of that diagnosis. Had she also had low white blood count problems for a while? Hugs to ya!!! Tell everyone howdy!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive