Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Friday, April 05, 2013

ON THE ROAD AGAIN...



Dan and I left SAM Shortline yesterday morning about 11 a.m.  Prior to that we went down the hill to find Marshall and say our good byes to him.  I know I haven’t written much about some of the people we have had the opportunity to work with and I don’t know why I haven’t, but Marshall and Dan really hit it off.  And at one point Marshall told me that I was ALMOST one of the guys, so just knowing Marshall I take that as a compliment.  I asked him if we DO come back could I come back as “one of the guys because there was just too much drama in being one of the women folk”.  He chuckled and said I could.

Two other people that we met and received an education from are Bear and Marybeth.  SHE is the female conductor.  They have "girls"...many, many girls....all with wings.  Many honey bees.  Dan and I learned a LOT about the benefits of honey that we had NO clue about before.  And we are both taking 1 tablespoon of honey and 1/4 tsp of ground cinnamon 2 x per day and Dan has started using honey in his coffee instead of sugar.  Since I have been so sick for so long it is hard to say if it has helped me or not, but I'm due to have my labs done when we get back, so maybe my wbc will be more than 1.1!  Even a 2 would be a welcome number!  We purchased 4 pounds of their honey so we're set for a while!

Al Mills, one of the conductors, stopped in to say good bye and to ask us to stay longer (everyone asked us to stay longer!).  We had said our good byes to Conductor Fussell on the last run (and I hope I didn’t give him my cold!).

No longer than we were there, and the “rocky start” that we got off too (the first 3 weeks or so not thinking we were going to be able to adjust from working at NWR’s to this) we actually made some pretty good friends. 

Two of which live in Southern Indiana and have already made it back home.  We hope to see Joe and Alice again at some point in our lives; they are very special people.  She’s the gal that plays the accordion, writes books, does balloons; her talents and interests seem endless, but I KNOW that is what keeps that constant smile on her face!  We have been blessed to have met these two people.

We are at Indian Springs State Park (still in Ga).  As we approached the driveway yesterday, I told Dan that I was sure we had been here before.  And we had.  MANY years ago when we were tent camping with our two dogs, Nick and Chewy…it was raining too hard to set up the tent so we slept in the van.  Chewy was scared to death of storms, so it was not a pleasant night, but it sure was a short one.

When we were here before, we didn’t do any exploring so we should be able to this time.

There is no internet access and no cell phone service.  We had thought about volunteering here may a couple of years from now for a couple of months, but that would be too difficult, especially if we still own the campground.  They DO have cable TV hook up but we can get just as many stations with our antenna as they offer with cable.  I’M BEGINNING TO SOUND LIKE THE FUSSY CAMPERS THAT WE GET IN THE SUMMER!!!! 

The plans for today are to go to Macon to Firehouse Subs and then to Dick’s Sporting Goods.  There is only one Firehouse Sub in Michigan and it is NOT in the U.P.  You have to try them at least once and we bet you don’t go back to the “other guy” again.  We will be taking our cooler with us so we can bring home a couple of those delicious subs!  I WON’T HAVE TO COOK!!

From there we will head to Piedmont to visit with our Piedmont friends and say our good byes (again) until we come back in December.  Since it is spring break, a lot of the crew won’t be there, but we DO know where Glenn lives and plan on stopping to see him on the way back.  Be afraid Glenn, be very afraid!!

Tomorrow is supposed to be a beautiful day so we think we’ll head over to Callaway Gardens.  We were there SEVERAL years ago and all the azaleas were in blossom.  They give a huge discount to military (free!!) so it won’t be an expensive trip!  They also have one of the best butterfly houses that we have ever visited…photo time!!

So I will be taking my computer and my wifi hot spot to Macon so I can post this and catch up with FB.

If I’m off the grid a while you know why!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive