Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Thursday, January 31, 2013

BLESS YOUR LITTLE HEART

I'm sure you have heard that phrase, right?

Sometimes it is Bless your little pea-pickin' heart.

I never thought I'd have a reason to use it as a tool (or a weapon) but I did and I'm not even sure if it sunk in.

But before we get to that, here is the way the phrase can be used or interpreted.




1.      This is a term used by the people of the southern United States particularly near the Gulf of Mexico to express to someone that they are an idiot without saying such harsh words.

2. "You are an idiot but I like you and care about you so I don’t want to hurt your feelings."


A phrase used by Southern women to excuse themselves for speaking ill of someone else.


An old or southern woman's excuse to insult people without being rude.
Old lady-"That little girl has a face only a mother could love. Bless her little heart."




A term used prior to ridiculing, insulting the sensibilities of, or pointing out the shortcomings of someone. Used to soften the blow of a statement, and can render nearly any comment, no matter how brash or distasteful, socially acceptable.

Wife- Honey, do these jeans make me look fat?

Husband- Bless your heart, dear, but you've been a whale for the last ten years and I still can hardly believe you haven't imploded into a black hole due to the force of your gravity yet, so no matter what you wear, you'll still be a walking pork rind.


 

Sooo, there is a gal and her hubby that are also volunteering here.  She is very proud (and loud) to be Southern, bless her little heart.

Now, I don't want to tip the scales in my favor by blessing her little heart TOO much, but she tends to get carried away with her speaking her thoughts.

For example, yesterday, twice...NOT ONCE but TWICE she called me bubble butt and if THAT wasn't enough she also referred to our manager as bubble butt.  The first time I just tried to laugh it off and said "No, that is buffalo butt, not bubble butt" (and I added in my mind "Bless your little heart".)

The 2nd time it wasn't just ME she called bubble butt, but also our "boss".  It isn't like this gal has been here all that long to be that familiar with the "boss", but she also tried to laugh it off.

The 2nd time for me I did not respond with any kind of a comment, but I was thinking "If you are as southern and country as you say, then if I say "Bless your little heart",  you SHOULD know what I mean, right? But I held my big fat tongue and continued to sit on my buffalo bubble butt.

She then proceeded to tell me that I don't know her very well (and she is saying this as though over the next couple of months we WILL get to know each other) and that her "suthernness and countryness" is what she is.  Well, bless  her little pea-picking heart.

Long story short, after a sort of an unpleasant (and welcomed) quietness from her this a.m she later came up to me (with others present) and said "I guess I owe you an apology, but I call it like I see it."  I replied to just let it go and things will be fine.  But she wouldn't let it go.  This apology went on and on and was beginning to be kind of confrontational and the other two gals with me didn't have a clue what was going on.  Then this gal said "Northern people are just RUDE.".  I said "I'm Northern, but I don't think I'm rude".  She kept right on talking about being in Pennsylvania and how rude everyone was...and the conversation kept getting louder. 

I'm not quite sure what the last comment was other than she wiped  her  hands together and said "I'm shed of the blood of this".  I told her that I didn't feel that there was any reason for anyone to have bad feelings, but I really don't think she heard me.  A few more words of apology were flung at me and I just couldn't help it.  I tried but it just slipped out.

"Well, bless your little heart..it's all ok".

.



2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:16 PM

    Too funny! Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I yiyi. Too bad things had to get loud and kinda ugly. Some people just don't know when to zip it! Hopefully you don't have to spend too much time around her.
    xo jj

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive