Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

SUGAR PIE HONEY BUNCH

Some evening last week, as we were playing TV roulette, we finally just decided to stick with the Georgia PBS station (only they call it something else here).

What had gotten our attention was they were trying to sell memberships and as incentive they were "giving" you the Motown History CD's.  And of course, they were showing old, and I mean OLD, "videos" of various Motown performers.

The Four Tops with their Sugar Pie Honey Bunch really took me back...I really get nostalgic when I hear "our music" (but  yes, I DO listen to Pink and a LITTLE bit of Lady Gaga).

The music took me back to the high school gymnasium where there would be a dance on Friday nights after a home game, be it b'ball or football.  As soon as the game was over, all of us that planned on going to the dance took the same exit out of the gym as those who DIDN'T plan on staying for a dance (AKA, adults..except for the chaperones).

By the time everyone had cleared the gym and the bleachers were pushed back, and sawdust was thrown on the floor, they would finally start collecting our 50 cents per person so we could get back IN the gym and dance.

It was usually around 10 p.m. before the dance actually started...and I had an 11 p.m. curfew.  And it seemed Dad was ALWAYS there LONG before 11 p.m. (this was before I was allowed to date).

I guess I should have appreciated the fact that I was even allowed to go because now if I had to go after someone at 11 p.m., I think I'd tell them to take the bus!  I LIKE MY SLEEP!!!


3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:06 AM

    Cathy,

    Seems like we had the same experiences growing up.......the dance thing.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha1 I had an 11pm curfew too-- It was at least an hour earlier than all my friends.

    But those old songs at the dances where they 'pushed the bleachers back" were great fun. I'm sitting here smiling at the memories. Thanks so much for the reminder.

    xo jj

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy that sure brings back the old days.Remember the 45's in the jukebox?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive