Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Friday, June 15, 2012

TAKE A WALK ON THE WILD SIDE

It isn't too often that I am able to get out of the office (this time of year) and actually go for a walk in our woods along our nature trail.

But Dan had enticed me with tales of huge white dragon flies by the lagoon, so I wanted to go see them for myself and hopefully get some photos too.

I took the "backside" of the trail so I hopefully could come up on the west end of the lagoon, thru the trees where I wouldn't scare off any critters.  There is also a family of ducks residing there and LOTS of turtles and frogs, etc.

I saw the turtles, and then they saw me so they were gone.  It took a while for me to see the dragonflies.  I have never seen dragonflies like these.  My sister says they have them downstate on their pond so I know they are not mutant.  They were all over, and flitting around like crazy.  They'd skim over the top of the lagoon, fly around in circles, never landing where I could get a good shot of them.

But, while watching them, I also saw this very cooperative, photo-genic frog at the end of the lagoon.  He had something sticking out of his mouth that he kept "scratching" at with his front left "foot".  I thought he had a stick in his mouth so it wasn't until I got the photos loaded on the computer that I could see it wasn't a stick.  It appears to be another frog!!  What do you think??

Come up with a caption for this photo!!  Mine is "I bit off more than I can chew!"  Others that I've had post on my FB page were "Taste's like chicken" and "I've stuck my foot in my mouth again!".

Here is the BIG old hungry, cannibalistic frog!  And he will be followed by a shot or two of the dragonfly.


And then, I was lucky enough to get a shot of a bluebird who looks like he is fit to be tied!


5 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:32 AM

    small frogs are the best bait for big frogs and is legal bait as long as you have no more than 10 frogs in posession. It is a frog eat frog world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, I did not know that!! I've never been "froggin'!!"

      Thanks for the info!

      Delete
  2. What an awesome photo. Talk about being in the right place at the right time! That frog is a hoot!

    And the dragonflies are really something. This is a first for me. i've never seen white ones.

    Hope your summer is going great and you're feeling good, Cathy.

    xo jj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! The frog was a lucky shot!!

      Having some tests done Monday so will know more then!! Thanks for the well wishes!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous8:04 AM

    Lansing area is filled with the white dragonflies :-) I lobe watching them, and once in a while I get to see the ones that are big as birds around here...but I mainly see those when I am at my parents place up on Peanut Lake (not too far from you). Great frog and blue bird picture too. Never knew frogs ate frogs, but fish eat fish, so hey...why not?
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive