Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Friday, March 23, 2012

GETTING TO KNOW YOU PART SOMETHING OR OTHER

This is Carl.

Carl is one of the most knowledgeable men that we have ever met....and he even knows where Iron Mountain, Michigan is and has actually been there!!!

He is the Administrator Forester.  I'm not quite sure what the title means, but I know it means he has a LOT of responsibilities as far as the forest and fires go.

He is responsible for "testing the waters" (ponds on the refuge) for certain types of plants that do NOT belong there.  There have been times they have had to treat a pond for dreaded types of weeds and then have to drain the lake because in order to treat the pond, the fish are killed due to the treatment (I think I've got that right!).

We have learned a lot listening to Carl.  He is very thorough with his explanations and is more than happy to share with you.

HOWEVER, Carl has an arch nemesis.  It is wisteria.  He has a personal mission to get rid of wisteria.  However, it just seems that it grows back twice the size it was prior to Carl attempting to slow it down.

He has found wisteria vines that are as big as his upper arm (and we have seen the damage done to the trees that are covered with the vine growth.)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive