Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Saturday, March 31, 2012

FRIED GREEN TOMATOES

We can now say after almost 6 months of living on Piedmont National Wildlife Refuge that we finally made it to the Whistle Stop Cafe for some fried green tomatoes and the blue platter special.

Come to think of it, I don't know if the platter was blue or not because there was so much food on it.

Anyway, we started out with an appetizer of 8 green fried tomatoes with a spicy Thousand Island dipping sauce.  That was $8.95.

Our beverages were served in mason jars (no, no white lightening...just coke for Dan and water for me).

Our blue plate special was fried catfish with  your choice of two sides for $9.95 each.  And the choices varied from green beans, turnip greens, mashed potatoes, some other kind of greens, fried okra and cheesy grits.  I had the grits and green beans and Dan had the "taters" an turnip greens.  OH, and a homemade roll.

We'd never had catfish before, although I DO remember eating bullheads and figured they'd taste about the same.  All I can say is we've done it and now we know.  Not sure what we know other than we "dun it"!

There was plenty of food so no room for peach cobbler or pecan cobbler or whatever other desserts they had.

We will save the dessert for when we come back in the fall!!



The Whistle Stop Cafe hours this time of the  year are from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. (I think they are closed on Sunday).  I figure when tourism season starts they would increase their hours.  We're not use to having "supper" at 3 p.m.!!!  But it stayed with us!!  Rib stickin' good food!!  (They were closed when I took this photo)

4 comments:

  1. Oh Cathy... There's ALWAYS room for peach cobbler ;-)

    I'm not a catfish fan either.

    xo jj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! I'm sure there is, but I promised Dan we'd buy a cheesecake. Since it was due to expire on 3/30 there was $3.00 off...and since we bought it on the 30th, we figured we better have cheesecake and coffee for breakfast!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous2:54 PM

    Cathy
    What happened to your page. It is now wider than the screen. We either have to resize or move back and forth to read it.
    Jon
    Paradsie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what is going on with it. I probably won't be able to work on it till we get home and I have a connection I can count on. Please bare (bear???) with me.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive