Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Friday, December 09, 2011

WORK MAKES ME TIRED!!

Today, we managed to clean around 5 trees in preparation for the controlled burn that will happen hopefully by end of January.

I know that doesn't sound like much work, but hopefully the photos will help explain a bit more.

The trees we are to clean around are the nesting trees of the endangered cockaded woodpecker.  I have explained before how these woodpeckers peck at the tree and make the resin/sap run...which is HIGHLY flammable.  So, ALL of these particular trees on the area of the refuge that is in the controlled burn area for this season have to have all the debris cleaned out away from them at least 6' away from the base of the tree.

The debris can include other small trees that have come up since the last burn, lots and lots of damn grapevines and pine needles, dead grasses, leaves, etc.  Anything that could fuel the fire has to be removed....even the bark of the tree from where it was burned before!!  We use a large leaf blower on the bark and boy does that work.  You don't remove all the bark, just what will blow off.

The photo above is a before shot of one of the trees.


This is what the area looked like when we were almost finished with this tree.  Lot of work for a bird!!!  AND there are a LOT of trees to do this to!!

If you look carefully, you can see a ring of debris that we hacked, pulled and raked away from this tree.  And we did 5 today...and we were very tired....but I had one more job I wanted to get done today.

It should be a very easy job as it just involved painting the handicap stencil on 5 parking spots.  But we were pooped and tired and sore (our backs were really screaming)
But, we got that done by Dan standing on the stencil and me bent over with a 3" paint roller with handicap blue paint.  I almost dreaded standing up to move to the next spot.

Then we had to wait for the paint to dry on the stencil so we could put it back in the truck bed...I decided to take a bit of a break...or maybe I should say cat nap???

Notice the dirty neck???  THAT was from all the dust and debris from that big leaf blower!!

This photo is going to be my entry photo for the SEXIEST VOLUNTEER FOR THE FEDERAL FISH AND WILDLIFE DIVISION OF THE U.S. GOVT.  Think I stand a chance??!!!

That cute jump suit I have on is actually a flight suit, but I'M  using it when I have to paint!

1 comment:

  1. For sure you will be picked as the sexiet model...but we know that bent hip is from your sore back and not from your model posing, but that will be our "little secret". LOL Glad you are busy and not getting into trouble..and having fun. It is only 9 degrees with wind right now in the U.P. (BRRRRR) so be lucky you are somewhere warmer. It is supposed to almost reach 40 again next week, but cold tonight! xxoo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive