Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Saturday, December 17, 2011

SUH-PRIZE, SUH-PRIZE, SUH-PRIZE!!!


Please believe me when I say that I am NOT poking fun at the southern accent, but sometimes the way people talk or express themselves in this neck of da woods (yah…dat’s Yooper talking), I have to chuckle or outright laugh (later when they aren’t around).

There is a local corner store that everyone seems to congregate at.  It is the one that I posted photos of a while back of a “hoe-down” in progress inside the store.  The locals that congregate there sometimes actually just spend the whole day drinking and watching the world go by, or commenting on why THEIR gun is “ better’n yourn”.

This is the place that we normally get our diesel fuel and it IS the place where we fill up propane tanks.  Our 5th wheel ha two 30 pound tanks and then we have a small tank for our grill.

The one for the grill needed filling up, so we went to dat corner store to get da tank filled up (yep, poking fun a Yoopers dialect again…just so you know I’m not prejudiced.  I’m a created equal kind of person).

So, the guy comes out of the store and Dan walks over with our little tank…which holds about 5 pounds of propane.  There isn’t any way possible for me to translate all that was said with that southern drawl about that little tank, but it went something like this;

“Ah’ve nevah seen nothing like this!  Ah don’t reckon I can rightly fill it up for youins.  Gotta check the big tank and see what it saz.”  (No the big tank doesn’t talk, but it has a chart on it).

“Yep, lookie right thar!  Yep, I can fill it!  See these little ol numbers on your itty bitty tank?  They go along with the numbers on the BIG tank, so by gosh I can fill it”…and so the conversation went.
 

While Dan went inside to pay for the fill up, the man was kind enough to put the tank in the pickup bed.  I got out of the truck and said “Have you been making fun of our little tank?”.  He once again expressed how he’d “neva seen such a little tank”.  And he proceeded to take it back OUT of the truck and said “I gotta show the guys in the store this little thang.”  NO ONE IN THE STORE HAD SEEN SUCH A LITTLE TANK AND THEY WERE ALL OVER THAT “THANG” LOOKING AND COMMENTING.  I bet if Juliette had 6 o’clock news, we would have been on it.

Then Dan really blew their minds when he told them that we originally wanted to get a fiberglass tank but they cost too much.  They’d never seen or heard of anything like that either. 

Oh, it was just an interesting exchange of language.  We all wish yall could have been thar!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive