Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Sunday, November 06, 2011

SITTING IN A PARKING LOT FOR THE LAST TIME, I HOPE!


Yesterday was our last day to work the deer check station.  This Thursday through Saturday is when we hunt…Dan with his gun and me with my camera.

We’ve sure learned a lot about plants and things that you can eat.  At least they want us to believe you can eat these things.

You know what I mean by stick-tights??  Those darn little “seeds” that cling to your pant legs or sleeves??  One of the officers came in to the check station last night (the rest of us was inside the building trying to keep warm!) and he had green stick-tights all over his pant legs.  I don’t remember the comment I made but something about those pesky stick-tights.  He didn’t know what I was talking about.

I told him that he had a lot of green stick-tights on his pant legs.  Well, down here they are called something totally different AND THEY EAT THEM!  He took one off his pant leg, peeled it (or popped it??) and ate what was inside.  It was about the size of the head of a pin, so I’m sure it would take a lot of these to “make a mess”.  Anyway, he said they taste just like green beans.  Now I’m wondering if THEIR green beans are different than OUR green beans.  I just can’t imagine them tasting the same.   They sure don’t look the same!!

Then there is the pork belly tortellini.    YUCK, right??

We were in the grocery store and there was a man selling a product and giving out samples.  As we approached the area he was in he asked us if we’d like to try some pork belly tortellini.  We both politely declined.  I kept thinking about it and thought “Why not?  We’re here to enjoy the culture!”  So when we came back that way, I told him we’d take him up on his offer of a free sample.

He dished us out each a little serving and actually it was pretty good!  I told him I was very surprised that pork belly would taste this good and not be fatty.  He looked at me as if to say “WHAT THE HELL YOU TALKING ABOUT??”.  But instead he said “Pardon?”.  I replied with something like, “Didn’t you say this was pork belly tortellini?”  He laughed and said “NO!  It is portabella tortellini (as in the mushrooms; portabella).  He gave us a coupon for a buck off so we purchased a bag; by the way Stouffers makes it.

Yesterday, one of the local churches (and we can tell we ARE in the Bible Belt) had a BBQ dinner.  Those of us that worked yesterday put our order in the day before so we had that for lunch yesterday.  YOU GOT A LOT OF BBQ and a nice helping of coleslaw (the non-creamy kind), good helping of baked beans, two slices of bread and a small bag of chips for $6.00 each.  Next weekend another church in the opposite direction is having a BBQ too, but we will either be hunting or at the Jarrell Plantation “touring”.

The Jarrell Plantation is only about 6 miles from us.  It has quite a history and many of the work buildings are still standing as well as most of the main house.  I’m HOPING I can get Dan out of the woods part of that day so we can attend their festivities on Saturday.  They will be making syrup from sugar cane.  I guess it is a bit of a different process than making maple syrup.  And we’ve been told that this will be one of the few times that they allow people into the main house.

Monday and Tuesday, we will be turned loose on the riding mowers.  They have 3 zero turning mowers; two are a John Deere.  We had our equipment training a couple of days ago.  There is a lot of mowing to catch up on but I would think this would be the last mow required this season.  We also have weed whacking to do as well as going to the campground and thoroughly cleaning the bathhouse.

It is a very nice pre-fab bathhouse and is only open during the hunts, which are 3 days per week for 5 weeks.  The campground actually is a “field” where some trees have been allowed to stay.  There are no designated campsites and people pack in there like sardines.  There are not fire pits, but they are allowed to dig a pit.  I think most of them at least try to get a spot where there has already been a fire pit dug out.

So, tomorrow, we will go in with basically a fire hose and hose everything down and clean it up for the next hunt.  The campground will remain closed until Wednesday.  Then it is open from Wednesday to next Sunday morning.

Today, Dan and I are ONCE AGAIN headed for Macon with my new AT&T gizmo.  Either I’m an idiot or this thing doesn’t function properly.  Or possibly I’m the one that doesn’t function properly.

Well, that’s about it for this time.  I most likely will be posting this from some place in Macon or in Forsythe (have to go get propane today).  We still don’t have any return phone calls or answers on our problem with the electric part of our water heater.  I haven’t had the chance to try to call the manufacturer yet but if that fails, I don’t know what the heck we will be doing.  We sure don’t want to “break camp” and head to some RV dealer to get it fixed.  What a pain….

Any-hoo- so goes it till next time!




TOP PHOTO IS ONE OF THE STORES ON MAIN ST IN JULIETTE.  BOTTOM PHOTO IS INSIDE THE FAMOUS WHISTLE STOP CAFE.  WE HAVEN'T EATEN THERE YET!

3 comments:

  1. I love that movie!!!!!! That would be so awesome to be there in that cafe'.....can I live vicariously for a minute? lol....but I thought it was in Alabama? Enjoy!!!! and have a Fried Green Tomato for me please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are having an interesting time, Cathy! Keep keeping us informed! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still scratching my head over eating the "stick-tights". Never in a million years would I have ever thought to do that.!

    I've never been to the Whistle Stop Cafe but I've heard about it for years. You captured it perfectly.

    Sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you. I hope you're feeling good and enjoying yourself.

    Safe travels xo jj

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive