Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Thursday, November 24, 2011


I WROTE THIS WEDNESDAY WITH THE INTENTION OF BEING ABLE TO POST IT AT THAT TIME.  SO IT IS IN PAST TENSE.


We’ve had a busy week so far and are looking forward to tomorrow being our day off (and doing laundry before we gorge ourselves at Golden Corral).

As soon as we are out of the public eye and just before we “hop” into the truck, we will unzip our jeans, drive home and go take a nap.  Sounds like a good plan to me!

Dan and I have been working on the dock (that I hope to be able to upload photos of) in the dry lake bed.  It has been an interesting couple of days and I’m thinking maybe the guys at the shop are muttering under their breaths “Yankee go home!”

This is a hard enough job to do with Dan’s back and knee issues and with the fact that both of my shoulders are very weak.  And that the lake bed is clay.  And in some places very “sticky”.  I can’t carry very much weight (except that of my own!) up and down the sides of the drained lake, and Dan shouldn’t be carrying much weight.  I guess actually the heaviest thing we’ve had to carry was a couple of ladders but even that is awkward for us.

We had hoped to have it all done before it started raining last night, but we kept having “equipment malfunctions”.  It is a long story so won’t bother with the details.  Dan has been taking his heavy duty pain meds to try to keep in shape in order to finish up.  But since it did rain last night and a good possibility yet today, I doubt we’ll be working there till that clay dries up a bit.  We may decide to go into work on Saturday.( Friday Dan hopes to install the heating element in our water heater.)  It is supposed to cool off starting today.

This week has been above normal temps for the area.  Yesterday was up to 78 and the normal is about 65.  Working in the sun and the heat took a toll on both of us, but it felt good to be doing something physical and not be tethered to an office.  We’d both get so hot and sweaty that we had a hard time getting our t-shirts off in order to get in a COOL shower.  That cool water felt good!!  (We didn’t have to take a cool shower, the hot water does work, but the cool water felt great!!)

So today will be pretty much putzing around the shop; probably cleaning up the shop and anything else we can find to do.

THURSDAY

I KNEW we should have gotten our little bit of groceries before heading out to have dinner at Golden Corral!  I don't think we really made exceptional gluttons of ourselves and I KNOW neither one of us ate $11.99 worth of food, but boy was it good (well except the corn bread stuffing).  It made me wonder, watching these extremely obese people go after plate after plate of food...when someone is that large, do they get to a point where they finally feel totally stuffed and miserable?  I'm not being facetious, but I DO wonder. I don't like that feeling.

I have finally found and ordered what is supposed to be the correct attachment for my new AT&T mobile wifi spot to connect to the outdoor antenna.  It should be here by Monday.  I sure hope so!  

I am going to try to upload a couple of photos now; fingers crossed.

If successful,  the photos are of the dock that we are finishing up the work on.  We hope to be done before the rainy season comes.  Since it is all clay bottom, there is only certain times we can work...WHEN IT IS DRY!







3 comments:

  1. glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, Cathy..it was in the 50's, sunny and orgeous in the U.P. so that was a great gift for us too. Sorry you are having such a hard time with physical ailments and hope you both feel better soon. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Cathy-- That sounds like A LOT of work! Hope you got to put your feet up for a while-- I'm guessing your muscles were a bit sore?? mine sure would be.

    xo jj

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:03 AM

    What exactly did you do to this dock?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive