Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Friday, October 21, 2011

CHARMED, I'M SURE

Good morning!!

It is still raining and cold but it is a glorious day to be alive!  And I mean that sincerely!!

We are living a charmed life lately.

Last night, my sister in law, Dan and myself were visiting in our "home on wheels".  I had forgotten to take my pills earlier in the evening so thought I better do that.

I took one little pill and I always save the vitamin C for last because I usually have difficulty swallowing it.  Fortunately, when this happens, I don't panic...I just drink more water till it goes down.

The vitamin C did not cooperate last night and got slightly stuck.  Dan and Connie are still talking and I wasn't in a panic.  I drank more water and it didn't help.

I thought "That is strange, it always dislodges.  But this feels different."  Then I tried to breath and realized I could not.  So then I thought "That is different.  Maybe it is time to panic??"

No one was paying any attention to me until I leaped up from the table and started pulling my coat off (it was chilly in here).  I started towards Dan waving my hand trying to get his attention.  He asked me what was wrong.  Connie said she's choking!  I'm trying to point to my throat so he gets the idea, while still taking my coat off.  He still didn't get it so I finally tried to gasp air.  Then he got busy!

I was trying to back myself up to him so he could do the Heimlich on me but instead of doing that he punched me in the stomach!  So I grabbed his arms to try to get them around me.  He finally got the idea and proceeded to do the Heimlich on me.  By this time my life is finally flashing before my eyes because it feels like an hour has passed and I can only hold my breath for about 20 seconds...so I figured that was about as long as I could go without breathing.


FINALLY, I was able to exhale a huge amount of air and the pill fell to the floor.  Tell ya what, I WAS scared!!!  I will panic if this ever happens again.  But I am going to try to find chewable vitamin C!  Now, if they could make calcium with vit D pills smaller.....

Here's something I bet you didn't know;


Manure... An interesting fact

Manure: In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to be transported by ship and it was also before the invention of commercial fertilizers, so large shipments of manure were quite common.

It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, not only did it become heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by-product is methane gas. As the cargo was stored below decks in bundles, you can see what could (and did) happen.
Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening. After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the instruction “Stow high in transit” on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the vessel would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.

Thus evolved the term ' S.H.I.T ', (Stow High In Transit) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.
You probably did not know the true history of this word.
Neither did I. I always thought it was a golf term.

9 comments:

  1. omg Cathy, that was scary...have you tried cutting them in half...if you have a pill pill not a capsule, you should be able to cut them, just they will taste nastier...if not, I would check out gummies...like Flintstones...they are high in Vitamin C for growing bodies...and according to my 5 yr old, they don't taste to badly either!

    Thanks for the manure tip too...lol...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get Dan a book of first aid and make him read it!!! And yes, get those chewable tablets...good grief woman!!! That is enough bad luck for you. (or should I say: that is enough sh*t for you!!) Glad it turned out ok....take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy... I know how terrifying this can be. I have had problems with Laringospasm. There has been times when I cannot draw air. It is terrifying! Glad to hear that you are ok!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We will be passing by a Wal-Mart today so I will be seeing if I can get some different vit c!

    Wendy, I'm going to have to look that up when I have time. It sounds like that you can choke without having anything stuck in your throat??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Camp Runamuck11:00 AM

    They make some pills a horse couldn't swallow. I cut mine in half too. What are they thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also have trouble swallowing Vit C tablets. I buy Nature's Bounty brand time released Vit C 500mg. They are "plastic" capules filled with Vit C. "They remind me of the old Contact capsules. I buy them at Rite-Aid. Cost more but worth the piece of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Camp Runamuck, I KNOW!!! WHY is that??!!

    WP girl, we didn't make it to Wal-Mart yesterday but will today. I will be looking for something like what you are describing. With my white blood count so low, I need all the help I can get!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you're able to find them. I haven't seen them at Walmart but you never know.
    Just an fyi. I grew up in White Pigeon, live in Mottville and work in Sturgis.
    Enjoy your stay.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also found a calcium with Vit D pill I can swallow.
    Spring Valley brand (bought at Walmart). Liquid filled absorbable Calcium (1200 mg per serving) plus 1000IU Vit D3. The "capsule" are big but they are soft and slippery and very easy to swallow. 150 softgels for around $8.00. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive