Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Thursday, August 04, 2011

THE HAPPY COOKER, THAT'S NOT ME!

Being from farm families, we are use to a "meat and potatoes" type of meal, but every now and then I like to switch it up a bit.  You may remember the mustard disaster of a few days ago with the Cream Crab.  I did manage to salvage it for the next night by adding milk and cheese.  Enough cheese and you can drown the taste of too much mustard.

BTW, the shortcake that night was excellent.

Last night, I made Tahitian chicken.  I'd never made it from scratch before but knew it wasn't a difficult recipe and that it wouldn't be time consuming.  This time of year, it is sometimes hard to prepare a meal (let alone eat it) between checking in guests and answering the phone...so I look for easy.

I truly considered NOT putting in as much OJ concentrate as the recipe called for.  GO WITH YOUR FIRST INSTINCT.

If we would have mixed in a little vodka, we'd have had a major screwdriver mixed with chicken, pineapple and the rest of the ingredients.  IT WAS TOO STRONG.

I've got to figure out how to "calm" THAT down for supper tonight because I'm not throwing it out!  I don't think cheese is the answer.  And I don't know if I add enough water and maybe some extra salt if that will help..does anyone have any suggestions???

BUT, we did have an excellent dessert (and still have almost a whole pan of it left in the fridge)!  I made cream cheese raspberry bars.  I didn't know how well it would bake up since I used fat free cream cheese, but they turned out REALLY good.

So, if any of my readers  has any suggestion s for how to calm down that over powering OJ in that recipe, PLEASE post them here!!

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:58 AM

    New look.........like it.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! I'm glad you noticed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wilson10:14 AM

    ...nice new look, i like!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wilson thanks!! No one has any comments on how to salvage my Tahitian chicken??!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. my brother in law (who is the best cook i know) suggested adding some more soy sauce (if your recipe called for it) or if it's just to orangy tasting adding some sugar...he said water would help but make your sauce runny...

    at the risk of sounding redundant, I also like the new look...it's cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy, thanks for checking with your brother in law. I'd already thought about stirring up some cornstarch and water and add to it and then maybe some brown sugar. We'll see how it goes!! I'm glad everyone is liking the "new look"! I don't want to change my template because I can post larger photos on this template than the other ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Charlotte8:35 PM

    I like the new look. Is the Yooper Yarns picture of the mouth of the Two Hearted River? I love it there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Charlotte, thanks!! And yep, that's the MOTTH. I wish I could get my font a different color over the photo but it has to be what all the other font is. Bright pink worked well, but it burned holes in my retina looking at it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive