Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Monday, July 11, 2011

BIG FOOT SPOTTED IN DA U.P!!


Yes!!!  And it happened in our park!!

And it was little ol’ me!!

And I feel horrible about it!!!

I STEPPED ON A BABY TOAD AND SMASHED THAT LITTLE FELLA FLAT!!

I didn’t see him until it was too late.  I was hoping that he had hopped out of the way, but no, he was just a splat on the road. He might have been 1/2" long before the accident, when I was done he was 2" long.   And yes, I got tears in my eyes over it.  And it made the bottom of my foot feel funny (even through my shoes and orthotics).

And if that isn’t bad enough…

All of our tree swallows and their young flew the coop about June 27th…except for one lonely parent in a nest box behind the bedroom.  I don’t know what happened to her mate, but she has been on her own for quite a while.

We were beginning to think she was sitting on eggs that weren’t going to hatch, but Dan did finally hear little peeps coming from there, so he knocked on the bottom of the box (while Mom wasn’t around) and saw one little featherless bird poke  his head up looking for food.

Of course, now I’ve been worried how she would be able to take care of baby birds, unless there WAS just one.  I haven’t seen her for a couple of days and I know that baby wasn’t big enough to fly…especially without many feathers.  So, now I’m concerned she left and we’ve got a dead baby in the box.  I guess we’ll find out in the fall when we clean out all the nest boxes.  How sad….

We just had a very nice rain this morning!  So much so that there is water standing on the ground.  I thought I was going to get a walk in after I cleaned the bathhouse this a.m. but when I got ready to go back out it was sprinkling pretty good.  I’m glad I didn’t chance it because I probably would have been on the backside of the park when it really started raining.

Can you believe it is almost the middle of July already????  DARN!!  Where has the summer gone!  Other than spending a lot of money on gas for mowers and doing a LOT of mowing…that can’t be what makes time fly.

Most private campgrounds (vs the State Parks) in the Upper Peninsula are not having a very good year.  And it sounds like most of the motels are having the same issue.  Our 4th of July camping was down 10% over last year.  At least the lodging has been doing well.  I sure wish Washington would come up with a SOLUTION soon!!  And that the price of fuel would come down and stay down even by 50 cents!  The survey from MARVAC indicated that “parks had a good 4th this year!”  I don’t think they surveyed all the U.P. parks, OR owners just plain lied.

Just for the heck of it….do you remember Mexican jumping beans??  Do you remember the little Scottie magnets??  Do you remember going into the 5 and Dime store and there was a candy counter with an assortment of candy in each glass “bin”?  Or the cashews that were in a heated glass case?  How about Blackjack gum??  Penny loafers??  Petti-pants??

Tell us if there is anything you remember that you haven’t seen in a while!

BTW, 102 days till we head for Piedmont!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I know how feel about accidently wiping out a helpless little wild thing. But it wasn't on purpose so don't beat yourself up. I was wondering about the activity at the parks this year as the economy still sucks no matter what they say. And YES I do remember most of what you mentioned, especially the black jack gum ~ loved it!
    'love & hugs from afar'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cher, I feel horrible about it yet! And it isn't like I like toads!! And I did see the mommy bird still at the nest, so maybe things will be OK.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive