Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Thursday, June 09, 2011

WINDY

It has been unseasonably "warm" here for the past couple of days, or maybe that should be unreasonably??  Yesterday was the worst!

We'd been watching the weather forecasts, hoping for some rain.  Things were drying out very quickly the past couple of days.

Yesterday afternoon, I had been out on the deck photographing male hummers who had been having a heated debate about who knows what.  They were putting on all sorts of acrobatic styles and I hoped at least ONE of the photos would turn out.  I was getting sea sick trying to follow them with my eye to the view finder (I'm a die hard; I rarely use the screen to set up a shot).

Then the temp dropped and the rain commenced..along with some wind.  It didn't seem like anything too bad, after all the hummers were still playing in it.  But it finally started raining sideways so I had to come in.

About that time, the phone rang, Dan answered it and I heard him say "The weather radio hasn't said so".  Then he said he would let them talk to me.  Before I took the phone he told me it was channel 7 and 4 news and they had told him we were in a tornado warning.  This in itself was odd; what news station makes phone calls to warn you of a storm??  And this station is downstate.  I took the phone and there was no one there so I thought Dan had misunderstood or it was a prank.

We figured we better turn on the TV at least and sure enough, there was a tornado warning for Luce County (us).  By this time, the storm WE had was already gone...but it said this one didn't expire till 5 p.m....another 30 minutes.    The weather radio finally chimed in and warned of a storm, dangerous wind, golf ball size hail and just plain nasty.  We kept looking at the sky and it didn't appear anything was coming again..

Then about 30 minutes later our neighbor called and wanted to know if we'd heard a tornado had touched down at 4 Mile Corner, which is south of us about 1/16th of a mile.  I think if a tornado had gone through THAT close, we would have noticed it, right?  I mean I was very interested in my birds, but good Lord, one doesn't miss a tornado!

About another 20 minutes later the National Weather Service out of Marquette called me and wanted to know what the weather was like and told me what their radar had indicated previously.  THEY were also concerned about a possible tornado that had gone through north of Newberry!!

Phone calls from TV stations and the NWS is NOT a common occurrence here, so I found the whole thing kind of surreal.  Especially since THESE people are supposed to be the one who know what weather is coming.

We did hear that south of Newberry did receive some wind damage and golf ball size hail, but we were fine.  Hmmmm...I still think this whole thing was strange.

And it is a LOT cooler!  About 25 degrees cooler!!!

(are other bloggers noticing a major change in how the posting page of your blog works???)

This afternoon is my appointment with my orthopedist to get my left knee checked out.  Since it is feeling better I almost cancelled my appointment, but Dan thinks I better keep it.  I know I have to go early to have an X-ray, but I don't think it will be necessary to schedule an MRI.

This photo is not at all what I was hoping for, but practice will eventually make perfect...I HOPE!!


3 comments:

  1. Hi Cathy,

    it is possible to have a tornado go by and you not know it...I have seen it with my own eyes, when I was little my dad and I were playing outside, it was raining, but being mid summer, and not that bad, my dad said we could stay out there...all of a sudden my mom come screaming out of the house for us to get inside, and as she's doing that the sky turned a funny green color and got awful windy and my dad turned around and watched a funnel skip across the field behind our house...to this day, I can remember it as if I was standing there...

    the hummers are awesome...I am going to have to borrow one of Grama's hummingbird feeders to bring up north with us monday...I love hummers, they are so beautiful and fun to watch...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hummingbird pics are great! As for that wind ~ well lets just say it should be interesting to see where my garden seeds actually landed! LOL
    'love & hugs from afar'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, THAT would have been a goof photo!!! Where was the camera!? I saw one tornado once when I was a kid and we were in the car on the road...it was weird, but I don't remember being afraid.

    Cher, Thanks! If they could just hold still a nano second longer....good luck finding those seeds.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive