Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Monday, May 09, 2011

THE WONDER OF LAKE SUPERIOR

Did everyone have an enjoyable Mother’s Day?  Did you do anything special?  Were you treated any differently from what you were on, oh, let’s say Saturday? 

Our day started out like most of our other days since we’ve been home..work, work, work.  I can’t even remember what we DID do Sunday morning, but Sunday afternoon, Dan surprised me by putting the loader in the barn and shutting the overhead door.  Then he surprised me by telling me to get out of the shop, we were going for a ride.

I’d wanted to go to Lake Superior and had hoped we’d get in a trip to Crisp Point before we opened for the season.  We didn’t make that trip, but we did take the “back way” to Grand Marais.  And along the way, we stopped at Lake Superior.

Neither one of us had been that way in a LONG time so everything looked a lot different than we remembered it.  Lake Superior was still just as wonderful as it always is!

Once we got into Grand Marais, Dan surprised me further by heading for Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.  It was such a beautiful day to view Lake Superior and all of the wonderful shoreline.

We stopped at Au Sable Falls and took the 169 steps to the bottom.  We didn’t continue on the board walk to Lake Superior.  I continue to have problems with my back and my knee since putting the picnic tables down the other day, so I was worried that I’d have a hard time making the 169 steps back UP.

When we got back to the intersection of M-28 and M-123 we went into the BP station and treated ourselves to some ice cream.  I figured after all the walking, climbing and stepping we did, it wouldn’t hurt too badly. (BTW, I managed to lose another 3 pounds since last week!!!  A total of 22 pounds!) I got a little “tub” of Snickers ice cream and Dan got the Milky Way.  We brought them home to enjoy later that evening.

So, anyway, here are a few shots of my Mother’s Day adventure.



NO one goes to Lake Superior without looking at rocks!

Au Sable lighthouse as seen from a distance.  I don't think we could have walked the 3 miles to get to it!  And it was getting late in the day.

The beautiful dunes and log slide (which you can't see from this shot!)  Superior's colors  Sunday were amazing!

I was trying to get Dan to behave so I could get a photo of us, but as he was whispering sweet nothings in my ear,  I couldn't help but hit the shutter button.  So this is what we look like on a GOOD day!  You should see us at our worst!

10 comments:

  1. Cute pic ~ and who can help but love the 'sweet nothings' being whispered.
    So now we know who to look for when we stop over this summer at your campground. :)
    'love & hugs from afar'

    ReplyDelete
  2. sfeutz7:43 PM

    The photos of Lake Superior are beautiful but the one of you and Dan is "priceless"! Too cute! It sounds like you had a great Mother's Day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That lighthouse and dunes photos should be framed - gorgeous! And cute photo of you and the hubby!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cathy, I smiled at your comment about the rocks at the Lake. I grew up on Lake Erie and every time I'm back home and we hit the beach, I come back to Los Angeles with a bag of rocks :-)

    Looks like you and Dan were having fun and that Mother's Day was a treat for you-- That's the way it should be.

    I've been gone too long so I'm going to read backwards and catch up on your posts. YOu're you're doing great and feeling good.

    Cheers, jj

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cher, we DO pretty much look like that all the time so you should be able to recognize us! Thanks!

    Sandy, Dan and I don't have a lot of photos of us together! All the vacation stuff we do, we don't have photos of US...so it was kind of fun to try to get a decent photo...even with him blowing in my ear!

    Shelley, That means a lot coming from you! Thanks. OH! We heard ONE LOON the other day. It sounded like it was across the road someplace but there isn't any ponds over there. haven't heard it since.

    Joanna, so you know exactly what I mean! And so does anyone who has been to any of the Great Lakes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:21 AM

    Cathy,

    I still say you should put a picture book together...you have
    a great eye.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  7. How beautiful the light house picture is. Just lived my life through you. Driving the back way to Grand Marais, the lakeshore. Really missing the area evenmore know. thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dave, I REALLY appreciate your support but I wouldn't even know how to begin to put that all together and get it sold.

    Cathie, Thank you very much!!I'm glad I can help you reminisce!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I'm so SOOOOOO jealous ~ I'm wanting in the worse way to take a trip north to the shoreline to do some rock and roll with the Big Lake Gitcheegoomies waves and snag me up some rocks ... an agate would be bonus :)

    LOVE the sweet nothings photo ~ how cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved these photos..they were awesome..and that picture of the two of you made me smile!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive