Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Saturday, May 21, 2011

WATCH YOUR STEP!

With all the mushrooms that we have (basically) been finding by accident, we have become very careful of where we step.  I'm serious, they are popping up all over.

Yesterday afternoon I was taking new hummingbird juice out (we had one female arrive yesterday...she's gonna be one tired chick!) and as I was coming off the deck I looked down.  I had almost stepped on a baby turtle!  Do you know how badly I would have felt if I had done that??  I haven't lost THAT much weight; it would have squashed that sucker flat!!

He looked like he had crusted dirt on him and he WAS headed in the direction of the bird bath, so I saved him a few steps and about 12,000 calories and put him in the bird bath (it is at ground level).  THAT seemed to make him happy!

I kept my eye on him from the dining room and about an hour later, it looked like he was trying to get out so I helped him out of the bird bath.  I set him in the plants that are around the bath.  Actually I set him on a red rock, but he still had plenty of coverage and could return to the bath, or crawl under it if he figured it out.

I had no sooner gotten on the deck than a damn sea-gull swopped down and got the little fella!  I could have cried.  I know that is nature, but sometimes I just don't want to be a witness to it!!

So, look for  yourself; doesn't he seem happy??? I mean prior to HIS ending of the world??

baby turtle in the bird bath


baby turtle in the bird bath

Doesn't it look like he has a smile on his little face??

I see you seeing me!

Even the tree swallows were upset by the whole thing!

6 comments:

  1. Aw.. poor little buggar! At least he had a wonderful last few minutes thanks to you. Love your pics. Now what kind of mushrooms are you tripping over??
    'love & hugs from afar'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cher, we've been finding a lot of blacks and probably about 7 grays so far. I about threw myself off the mower again because of two nice big black mushrooms in my path!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your long gone little turtle is a cute little guy but I do love that swallow photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww....poor little turtle...My Grampa had a much better name for those _______ ________ birds....of course the first time i repeated what he said my mother washed my mouth out with soap...but to this day, I can't stand em...

    love the pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  5. that makes me so sad! Yesterday, on the way to a very rural rummage sale, I saw the biggest snapping turtle I have EVER seen in my life in the middle of the county road. I stopped, took pictures of him..tried to nudge him to the other side of the road (so he wouldn't get run over) but I had sandals on he wanted to bite me. LOL I was so scared that by the time I drove back I would see him squished and dead on the road, but I didn't so he must have made it to the other side! Stay tuned..in a few weeks I will have pictures of him on my blog. :0}

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandy, thanks! They aren't so flighty as some other birds. One was sitting on the deck and I was sitting at the other end, she could have cared less!

    Amy, how funny! I'm sure the seagull had already spotted the turtle in the water and would have gotten him anyway, but it just ticks me off!!

    Retired One, I can't believe you were trying to nudge a snapping turtle! You're lucky he didn't get your whole foot!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive