Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

THE LAWN RANGER RIDES AGAIN!

I'm not sure why Dan wanted ME to be the first one to mow the campground with the new used mower we purchased a month ago.  After all, he was the one who wanted it, who has become intimately familiar with it (changing the oil and that kind of thing).  No, he wanted ME to be the first one to mow around trees, around electrical pedestals, firepits, etc.  But before I got started, he asked me "Do you want to put the seat belt on?"

SEAT BELT??? ON A LAWN MOWER???  Never heard of such a thing.  I'm tough, I can take it.  After all, I've been riding on top of that old Deines for nigh on to 17 years!  And THAT hasn't thrown me off yet.  But this new one,  you don't ride on top of; it has a very nice seat with arm rests, levers that you pull in once you are ready to rumble.  Pretty comfy to sit on and everything is positioned "handily".

But it has a few "quirks" that we both have to get use to.  Neither one of us can remember the sequence of getting ready to fire her up.  After you are on it, do you start it first, then unset the brake and then pull the levers in or do you unset the brake, pull the levers in and then start it?  Or do you start it, pull the levers in and then unset the brake??  And the same holds true for when you shut it off; there is a certain sequence you are supposed to follow.  Hell if I can remember what it is.  I'm going to need to plaster instructions on the place where ya put your feet!

So, anyway, I was mowing and the first swipe across one of the very grassy tent sites, trying to mow around a little tree...well, the tree is still there, but it has a lean to it.  It is going to take a while to get use to how this one handles compared to how the other one handles.  For me, I like the old one for going around things, but it could just be that I need to get use to this one.

I managed to mow about 15 sites and didn't kill any trees or run over any mushrooms (they are coming up like crazy now!!!).  I brought the mower back up to the shop where Dan was working on his loader.  I shut it off and forgot the proper sequence and the thing burped and farted.

I DO try to be an optimist.  You may not always think so, but I DO try to think positive.

So while I was still sitting on the mower, contemplating which sequence I should have performed first, Dan and I were talking about "how did you like it, how does it clip compared to the old one, " etc.  I told Dan the seat belt MIGHT be a good thing because as rough as our ground is (thank you earthworms) I still bounced a lot (next time I will wear the sports bra) in the seat.  I would bounce to the point that I needed to push myself back up into the seat a bit further and when I would try to do that, because the weight of my body was leaving the seat for a nano-second, the mower would try to cut out (safety feature).

I figured it was time to get off the mower and go take a pain pill for my back and knee.  In the process, I stumbled  off the mower.  Dan said "What the hell are you doing?"  I said "What does it look like?  I'm trying to see how quickly I can get off this thing!"

I am anxiously awaiting DAN'S first turn around the campground with it!  He'll probably take something easy...like the dog walk or behind the pole barn.

Any-hoo.. Here is the end of the whale story.  Many of you had the right answer.  Maybe I am boring you with my fascination with macro photography, but you are my captive audience!  A whale in a snowglobe!  I'm surprised this thing hasn't broken considering it spends the winter in an unheated house!

THE END OF THE TALE...IT IS A SNOW GLOBE

2 comments:

  1. Don't feel bad Cathy, those stupid things are over my head....my husband would have to start it, and then I would be darned if I didn't sit there going around in circles cause of not understanding the whole lever thing....someone could make some money off me on America's Funniest Home Videos....Good Luck!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, I don't feel too badly about it because Dan can't remember the sequence either!!! Let me know when you will be on AHV!! HA!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive