Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

THE SECRET LIFE OF BEES

Several  years ago, my daughter gave me a book titled "The Secret Life of Bees".  There was a movie made of the book with Dakota Fanning and Queen Latifa.  Did you happen to see it?  It was a very good book and an excellent movie.

I am fascinated in what goes on in SOME of the winged insect world.  Some insects I shy away from and shiver when I see them (like a cedar bug for example).  And I don't know of anyone who enjoys mosquitoes or even A mosquito.

I'm also fascinated with macro photography...as if you haven't guessed lately!

So, without further delay...here is MY version of the secret life of bees...

the secret life of bees


the secret life of bees

the secret life of bees

the secret life of bees

the secret life of bees

the secret life of bees

the secret life of bees

the secret life of bees

the secret life of bees



If you notice that 2nd to last photo of the bumble bee (at least I THINK it is the 2nd to last), check out his left wing...part of it is missing.  I didn't notice this until a couple of days after I had uploaded the photos to my computer. 

When I was photographing him/her (???) there were two other bees that kept "bothering" him/her.  I thought maybe this was a mating ritual or something.  I got shots of the other bees bothering this one, but they were blurry.  So, I don't know what happened to this bee's wing.  I did a search trying to find out if after a mating ritual of one bee eats off another bees wing, but couldn't find anything.  Does anyone out there have any ideas what could have happened???

6 comments:

  1. Bees are cool little buggars but I need to keep my epi-pen handy!
    I have an award waiting for you over on my blog. "HUGS"
    'hugs from afar'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that last shot was a super macro..I could count his hair follicles. Great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gary H. / Battle Creek11:22 PM

    Not sure which males mate, but the only female that does is the queen of the hive. Pic #5 looks like a wasp of some kind, not a bee. Usually if other bees are "bothering it", it might be from a different hive. Gotta love those nature shows on t.v. Nice pics !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your BLOG and loved the bee photos. Thanks. I've never been to the U.P. but id like to visit some day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Read the book and saw the movie, too! Loved them both! Those are some amazing shots you got. I wonder how that bee can still fly with half of one wing missing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cher, Our oldest son found out the hard way (about 4 years ago) that HE is allergic to bee stings! He never had been before so I guess it can happen to anyone at anytime! Keep that thing handy!

    Retired One, Thanks muchly!!! I was relieved he was so cooperative! Maybe that had something to do with only having 1/2 a wing??


    Gary, I knew the other was a wasp of some sort and was greatly afraid of HIM seeing ME! They are mean buggers!

    Glacier Dreaming, I'm glad you found me and hope you will stop by again...even in the U.P! I will check out your blog later today!

    Jeanette, I agree! And I wondered too if that bee could fly; thought maybe that was why he was so cooperative at the photo shot!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive