Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Friday, February 11, 2011

GALLINVANTING

Wednesday was our day to go gallivanting a bit.



We had a list of things we wanted to accomplish that day, which one of the items was to find that Chinese restaurant that had been highly recommended to us.


First thing was the dreaded trip to the Laundromat…ONE reason to look forward to being home; my own washer and dryer and if they fail, I DO have a Laundromat in our campground! Then it was off to get groceries.


I don’t know if you saw the news item a couple of weeks ago about Wal-Mart’s commitment to lower the prices on fresh fruit and vegetables to make them more affordable to others. This was in agreement with Michelle Obama’s plea to make the healthy choices of food more affordable.


I think they forgot about it. Last week, bananas were 45 cents a pound; today they were 52 cents a pound. Last week, gala apples and Fuji apples were $1.37 a pound. Today they were $1.47 a pound. I don’t know what cauliflower was last week because I didn’t buy it last week, but I did today. I don’t remember what the cost was per pound. For the past couple of weeks, peaches have been $1.00 a piece! Today they were 50 cents each. We bought 4 because we don’t know how good they will be.

Since we’ve been here, we’ve been paying $2.48 for a gallon of milk. Today it was $2.58. I wasn’t surprised at that considering the price of fuel has gone up.

Anyway, after we got done grocery shopping, brought that home and put it away, we headed out again to find the Bartow County Sheriff’s Department…and find a Chinese Buffet. It was MY week to pick our meal out for the week place.


We got to the Sheriff’s department, completed our paperwork for our fingerprinting and waited a few minutes for an officer to get us.


The Federal government apparently doesn’t want digital prints because it was the ink kind…two sets each.


I went first. The officer did my first couple of fingers and asked me if I had oil or lotion on my hands. I told him I had put it on about 6 a.m. By now it was after 2 p.m.


He asked me to wash my hands and we’d try again. The next two fingers didn’t look any better to me. I was tempted to ask if the ink pad was in need of more ink, but then I saw my fingers and knew there wasn’t any way the ink pad was in need of ink.


We finished the process and he told me that there was a possibility that my prints might be rejected because they didn’t turn out very well. He looked at my finger tips and said I don’t have real distinguishable ridges. Dan was next; his looked like a wonderful topographical map. All kinds of whorls and ridges. But the officer made me feel better when he said I had worked the ridges off my fingers. HA!


Soooo, if they ever need to identify me it won’t be by my fingerprints!


Then we went to Wal-Mart so I could make an appointment for a vision test on Thursday afternoon. Then we were off in search of the Hong Kong Star restaurant. We were told they had a buffet at noon and only off the menu towards evening. By now it was after 2:30.


We didn’t have very specific directions (no pen and paper drawings of stick figures going in the correct direction…see, Steve, we DO remember things and have added that to our collection of maps!). We were told “It’s about 12 miles south on 41 back towards Acworth and it is on the right hand side of the road”.


Dan was driving, trying to watch lights etc and he also thought he should be helping me look for this place. The person who told us about it didn’t tell us it was in a little strip mall area so we managed to drive by it.


About a mile down the road we found a place we could turn around (it is 4 lane traffic) and went back.

We found out, after we went in, that they do not have a buffet at any time. By now, we were both pretty hungry so decided to stay anyway.


An elaborate menu was brought to us. We were completely surprised by all of the choices (considering this was in a strip mall). There was so much to choose from and we were both use to Chinese buffet and not having to make actual menu choices. The server came back twice to see if we were ready to order yet!  It was taking us forever to decide!

Dan didn’t have a clue what to order (he’s not a big Chinese food fan to begin with but he does like the buffets). I suggested he order the Oriental Pepper Steak. I make it about 4 times per year and he does like that. I decided on the beef egg foo yung. I hadn’t had that in YEARS. The last time I had it I was a bit disappointed in the small portion and the only thing that went with THAT order, as I recall, was egg drop soup.


Since it was so late in the afternoon and we knew we wouldn’t be fixing supper at home, we both ordered the dinners. These came with egg drop soup, four crab ragoons and an egg roll for each of us.


The soup was delicious and the ragoons were HUGE! The egg rolls were very good too. Almost as soon as we had finished that, our dinners arrived. I was STUNNED at the amount of food on my plate! Holy Wah!!! It wasn’t a plate, but a platter heaped with vegetables, very thin strips of beef and I KNEW some place under all of that was my egg foo yung. I figured with all this stuff on my plate that the egg foo yung must be the size of a slice of bread. I had brown rice on the side. Both of our plates had edible flowers on them. My egg foo yung had to have been 2 inches thick, 4 inches wide and about 5 inches long…and there were two of them under all that beef and veggies! Needless to say, I required a box to bring most of it home. Dan did polish off his pepper steak and even ate all of his rice (he hates rice). The server cleared away our plates, making sure everything was satisfactory. We waited for the bill to arrive…and waited some more. We decided just to go up to the cash register and knew someone would be there to take care of us.


Just as we got out of our seats, another server arrived with dessert and the bill. How nice is that??!! They actually bring you a little dessert with your bill! There were two little pieces of frosted cake, two slices of oranges and of course the fortune cookies. While we were eating the dessert, the young man took our payment up and brought the receipt back.


I know we could have gotten a buffet for about $10.00 less than what we paid at this restaurant, but it was so worth it!!


At the end of our stay here, we’re going to write down all of the places that we have eaten (on little strips of paper) that we LIKED, put the strips in a cap and pull out one to be our last place to eat before we head home.



Dan gets to pick next week unless if finally works out that we are able to go out with Paul and Linda (they work at one of the other parks as gate attendants and it works out we have the same days off).


You’ll just have to stay tuned to see who is the winner of our dinner!

6 comments:

  1. The only thing I like at Chinese Restaurants is Crab Rangoons, egg drop soup and sweet and sour chicken,but I LOVE them all!! Paul doesn't eat any Chinese so when my daughter comes home we do Chinese, just us two girls!! You guys need to get a Tomtom gps so you can just type in the address of these restaurants and it will bring you right to their doors..we never travel without ours anymore...it has been such a stress reliever!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My guy just loves the PeKing in Iron Mt. You do remember the U.P. right? lol Don't get me wrong - I love it too but he would prefer to eat there everytime we're in the area. So we decided to do the your pick this time, my pick next time trade off too.
    'hugs from afar'

    ReplyDelete
  3. sfeutz8:38 PM

    Cathy- I think I can solve your fingerprint mystery-After I had worked in banks for years I changed employers and that bank fingerprinted new employees, I was surprised to find that I could not be fingerprinted. They said that the acid from the money I had been handling over the years had removed the ridges etc. Said I was perfect for a life of crime! I remember that you were a banker and that must be where your fingerprints went! Sounds like you found a great chinese eatery. I was hungry just reading about it. Safe journeys,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Retired One, As long as we don't go to a Chinese restaurant more than 1 time every 3 months, Dan will be OK. He knows that even at home, OCCASIONALLY he is going to get a rice dish of some kind!

    Cher, I have tried to get Dan to eat there the times I've gone with him to the VA hospital but he prefers going to Taco Bell!

    Sandy, that sounds like a good reason! It's our excuse and we're sticking to it!! I never would have thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wilson3:34 PM

    cathy, used your hash brown recipe this morning for breakfast, the family really like it, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wilson, glad you enjoyed them! They are SOOOO good we sometimes have a hard time not eating it all at one meal!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive