Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Monday, January 10, 2011

ONE LEG OR TWO??

A couple of days before we got this HUGE winter event, I noticed this blue heron perched on a tree limb.

I had never seen a blue heron perched anyplace.  I've only seen them IN the water or along the shoreline.

I figured by the time I got the camera out, he'd be gone but he stuck around. I wished I'd gotten the tripod out too because I missed some very good shots of him sunning himself (wings spread) but they were blurry.  You should have seen the contortions I went through trying to keep my camera shake to a minimum while zooming in as much as I could.  I always keep my elbows to my side and hold my breath, but I was also using trees to help steady me.  Dan said I looked like I was target practicing.

Anyway, not only had I not seen a heron perched in a tree, I was beginning to think this particular one did only have one leg!  He even managed to stand on one leg when spreading his wings!  But as you can see he does have both of his legs!

blue heron


blue heron


blue heron


blue heron

6 comments:

  1. Hi Cathy, Thanks for coming to my blog....Please come back anytime.. I have another good set of bird pictures in last Friday's blog--if you have time to look at it.

    So you are in GA... Did you bring all of the U.P. snow down south????? ha ha... We have really had the snow this winter so far... We're on the Cumberland Plateau in TN --and haven't seen the ground since Christmas I don't think.

    Love your Blue Heron pictures... I have never seen one up close and personal.

    Hope you are enjoying your experience in GA --even if they have snow.

    Come back to my blog anytime.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how cool - I love herons! All water birds, really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WoW Cathy-- Those photos are absolutely beautiful. I've never seen a blue heron in person. What a treat.

    Hope all's well with you. Cheers, jj

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betsy, thanks! I look forward to seeing more of your shots too! We are enjoying Ga, but came here to get away from snow and cold!

    Tattytiara, thanks! They are a unique bird! I enjoy shore birds too!

    Joanna, thank you! They do have them in lower Michigan so maybe they might be in Ohio too?? I know you occasionally get to go "home" to Ohio, so maybe you still have hopes of seeing one in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWESOME!!! You can sure see why they're called blue herons. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous shots, Cathy! Aren't they beautiful birds????

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive