Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Friday, January 14, 2011

LOOK THRU' ANY WINDOW

For the past several days, I've been trying to get photos of the birds enjoying the snow and all the seed that we give them.  Since it has been so cold, I've been doing this from the comfort of our living room.  The lighting on the snow has been perfect. 

The birds were very cooperative.  I managed to get quite a few of the N. Carolina wrens and the towhee (I'm too lazy to look it up and see if that is the correct spelling).  There are lots of cardinals too.  Robins have started eating the buds off the trees again after the ice has melted.  We've even seen a couple of bluebirds.

So, you may ask, where are these photos???  I deleted all of them!  On purpose!!  Shooting through our dark tinted windows wasn't doing the shots justice so I will wait till it is warm enough to be outside with my camera and hope the birds will cooperate then too!

Gas stations in/near Atlanta have run out of fuel because the trucks can't get to them.  We went to the laundromat this a.m.in Acworth and the roads here are pretty clear.  We hope to go to Wal-Marts tomorrow, and HOPE the grocery trucks have made it there.  We've got plenty of food, but I've got an Rx to fill and as long as we are there, we might as well get the weekly shopping out of the way. 

Miss Kitty has been coming in to eat twice a day (well at least we FEED her twice a day; the wrens have been busy with the cat food too...no more turkeys though!).  She doesn't like this weather either.  As you know, she is very timid but is not quite as afraid of me as she is Dan.  I can at least open the door and talk to her a bit (she's about 30' away).  When Dan goes out, she usually takes off...sometimes slinking and looking over her shoulder and other times she goes zoom!

The other day, she was eating and Dan needed to go out.  Well, the cat went to make a beeline down the hill and she slid all the way down on her butt.  It was funny to see.  All I could think of was the joke about the turtle and the snail...Do you know what the snail said as he was riding on the turtles back???  WHEE, WHEE, WHEE!!!

8 comments:

  1. When we moved down from Alaska it was in Sept. We migrated south with the sandhill cranes. I had some wonderful footage of them riding the thermals complete with sound but NO... somebody was just learning her camera and deleted all the vidio and pics. ARGH... but in your case I'm sure you'll get some more wonderful bird pics on a warmer day. 'hugs from afar'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like kitty found a new home. You know the saying, feed them and they will come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hollies 1966. There first top 40 hit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cher, Hopefully I will get some shots before we head home in March! It is warming up and supposed to have rain tomorrow and Tuesday.

    Mel, there had been another cat hanging around, real pretty with white feet and black body but we haven't seen her...just Miss Kitty...and I truly hope SHE is a HE.

    Tractor Guy, YEP!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:39 AM

    You found a friend!! in Miss Kitty.This is off subject but I had inquired IF you knew anything about Biskit from UP north.... He has never come on to his website with anything...Not like him!!! His website has not changed since last spring/summer.. with a history on his trail report...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous, someone else posted this question a while back and I don't know anymore now than I did then. Someone from Newberry thought Biskit had a facebook page and was on that more than his website. If you find out, let me know so I can let others know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have been shocked to have a Carolina wren at our feeder the last few weeks. I've never seen one before and our usual wrens don't stay for the winter. But with the kind of winter you're having in the south, maybe they are better off up here! We counted 14 pairs of cardinals at the feeders.Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christy, they remind us of the markings on a chipmunk. We'd never seen them till we got here. Love you too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive