Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Wednesday, December 01, 2010

NUTTIN' MUCH

I see that da U.P. is headed for some “bad” weather! Considering today is the official start to snowmobile season, I’m sure everyone is geeked to know there is LES (which is the acronym for Lake Effect Snow) expected with accumulations of up to 14” in places!!




While you guys are waiting for blinding snow, yesterday we were waiting out tornado warnings and watches. The day before it was only a high of 52 degrees and dropped to 40 very quickly towards evening. During the night it warmed up to 60 and then the storms moved in. Fortunately, the only thing we got here was a lot of heavy rain. Atlanta, which is a bit south of us, picked up over 7 inches of rain. There was one tornado east of here that did some damage to some homes.



So yesterday it was over 60 degrees and during the night it dropped down to 30. So much for the start to our 4 days off!!



The other hosts that are here asked us last week if we could trade a couple of days with them so they could go visit family in Connecticut for T’giving. So this weekend they are paying those two days back. Friday and Saturday are supposed to be nice again but only around 60 degrees. Hopefully by then I will have figured out how to use MY NEW CAMERA!!!



Remember when I said Dan wanted to get a better camera but didn’t want to go overboard with it? We decided that I would upgrade and he would take my Fuji Finepix. It won’t be difficult to show him how to use it since I’ve been using it for a couple of years now. He’s been playing around with it, taking some very awful photos of ME. No amount of editing will help them. And he did take those flower photos that I posted a while ago.



So now I’ve got a Pentax X90. It is a 12 megapixel with a 26x optical zoom. It looks like it will be very easy to use…once I get the hang of the buttons and their meanings. It took me quite a while yesterday to figure out how to format the card, but once I got it it didn’t seem so hard after all. The Fuji is a 10 megapixel and an 18x zoom so Dan will have some fun with it. The Pentax has 3 awesome macro settings which I am anxious to play around with…when the weather cooperates again!



I read a lot of reviews online about this camera before making my choice; some professionals had nothing but glowing remarks while others complained about little things (like the “cheap” lens cap cover and lack of a manual…which I DID receive a VERY nice 262 page manual so I don’t know why they didn’t have one). I can’t form my own opinion till the first several photos that I take.

Well, it looks like it is laundry day…again! I’d just as soon keep up with it as to let it go any longer.

Have a great day!!

4 comments:

  1. Now Cathy, how many of your readers are wondering what LES means? Being a Yooper myself I know it means LAKE EFFECT SNOW... and I'm happy to report that our area is only supposed to get around and inch or two - at my age that is bearable. lol
    Congrats on the new camera - I'll be waiting for your opinion :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cher, you are probably right!! I will put an explanation on LES. I hope to be able to get out later today with the camera!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your new BABY!!! (Camera). I will be anxious to see how you like it....I switched to a DSLR most of the time now, but I am courting with the idea of getting that new Canon point and shoot that has 14 megapixels and 36X zoom to take when we travel..that way I won't have to take all those mega lenses with me everytime I go somewhere in the car....but I am still looking because it is a bit bulkier than I want in a point and shoot...so let me know how you like it...I will look at your pix on your blog too which I am looking forward to...I am still amazed by those wonderful sandhill cranes you took!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Retired One, I'm very happy that Dan wanted to upgrade so I could get a new camera!!! HA! I was looking very seriously at that same Canon you are talking about, but I did a LOT of research and read a lot of opinions and even though it has a more powerful zoom, I felt (for me anyway) that this was the route to go. I had thought about SLR's before I got the Fuji, but I'm at the point in my life I don't want to have to learn new tricks. I wanted to get a Canon at that time so I could switch out my large lens from my 35 to the digital.

    But I didn't go that route!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive