Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Saturday, December 04, 2010

CHRISTMAS IN HELEN, GEORGIA

Dan and I went in search of grist mills and waterfalls yesterday.

I will have photos of both possibly by tomorrow.

One of the little towns that we went through on our quest for Horse Trough Falls was Helen, Ga. 

I had read about how it was a quaint town in an Alpine setting in the valley.  Quaint and Alpine are understatements.  If you have ever been to Gaylord, Mi, this town is WAY above Gaylord for "Aplineness".

I was stunned at the downtown sight!  And there was no damn place to park!!!  I couldn't get any photos because traffic had to keep moving and people were walking all over the place.  I had thought about asking Dan to turn around and go back so I COULD get some shots, but it was late in the afternoon and we still had two waterfalls we wanted to find. 

The road out of Helen is a 40 mile stretch (at least) of twists, turns, hairpin curves, falling rocks, waterfalls coming out of the side of the mountain and no place to stop to get THAT shot. 

We finally saw the sign to the Upper Chatachoochee campground where the water fall is located.  However, the sign was right across from the drive and no way to make a turn that quickly on these type of roads.  We hoped we could find a place to turn around and go back, but by the time we did we were already 25 miles away!  And evening skies were approaching.

So long story short, we have waterfalls to go back to see....sometime.  And MAYBE we'll get back to Helen while they are still decorated.  I would like too.

In the meantime, please check out this link so you can see some of the photos that someone else has taken.  One of them has been phototouched because it has snow on the roofs and ground.

http://www.helenga.org/photos/christmas-helen

There were horse drawn carriage rides and it appeared most of the horses were Percheron's...all beautiful regardless of the breed.  Their big Christmas parade is today but I know we won't be going back for that.

Enjoy the tour through Helen, Ga via the website!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive