Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Saturday, November 13, 2010

THE WONDER OF WILDLIFE

The past couple of days, with the weather being so perfect, we’ve been outside a lot.

There hasn’t been a lot of activity over at the boat ramp so not a lot for us to do. So, we’ve been playing Yooper Shoes…a LOT. You may recall I did a story about them this summer; some people refer to the game as Snake Toss, or Polish Horseshoes, or some call it Ladder Ball. It is the game that is played with a golf ball attached at each end of a rope that is about 15” long. Then you throw it at the “ladder” target and score points by which “rung” your balls hang up on.


I’m a leftie but I’ve been trying anything to win a game so I’ve been playing right handed. I don’t play any better (or any worse) right handed than left handed. I’ve won maybe 4 out of 15 so far. I’m gaining.


We normally don’t have an audience because when it is OUR 4 days to work, the other people who stay here and work the other 4 days usually take off. Our biggest audience has consisted of Tufted Titmouse, Chickadees and a couple of rambunctious gray squirrels. So it isn’t like we’re making a spectacle of ourselves.


None of these critters were afraid of us or apparently of being hit by a stray throw (actually I think the squirrels were taking bets on where my next toss would end up). They continued to feed at the feeder, scurry around in the leaves and collect things on the ground. The one particular squirrel was getting quite brave in fact. I was truly afraid he was going to get hit on the head and neither one of us have a small game license. Kind of hard to explain should it actually happen and should we actually get caught with a dead squirrel. Can’t you hear the conversation??


“But officer, I was just tossing my balls and the squirrel got in the way!”


He’d say something like “Sure, how long have you been tossing your balls anyway?”


Dan would say “I toss my balls for only as long as it takes to score!” (You notice it is Dan who’d be speaking to the officer; his aim is much better than mine!)


Anyway, I digress….


So Dan and I was walking over to the ladder to collect our balls which neither one of us had scored so they were on the ground. I’ll be damned if one of those pesky squirrels didn’t run right over and grab one of MY pink golf balls and take off with it!


He didn’t take off very fast because he hadn’t realized that it was also attached to another ball at the end of the rope(that and I don’t think he could sink his teeth into it and was trying to run by holding on to the ball with his paws). I thought about trying to step on the other end but didn’t want to end up with an angry squirrel.


In rides Dan to the rescue!!! He took one of his ball/rope/ball thing, gave it a swing and let loose! He hit the squirrel in the butt! It was enough to scare the squirrel away and he left MY balls behind!


Moral to the story; Don’t try to come between a man and his wife’s balls!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:53 AM

    LOL! You two are having wayyyyytoo much fun!
    Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Lord, this blog needs to be R-rated!! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive