Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Friday, November 26, 2010

NUTTIN' MUCH

How was your Thanksgiving? I hope it was spent doing the things you had hoped to do and with whom you had hoped to do them!

Dan and I went to Ryan’s Buffet for our dinner. We thought we had timed it right so maybe it wouldn’t be so busy…WRONG! We were both surprised how many other people opted to go OUT for dinner instead of cooking at home! WOW! Were they busy! Seating capacity is 440 and they were full and lined up out the door!

It really didn’t take us that long to get seated. Then the fun began.

The salad bar was something that I was looking forward to, but I tried not to fill up on salad fixings. The only thing I put on my plate besides toss salad was a spoonful of potato salad. Dan is not a big salad person but even he filled up with toss salad and blue cheese dressing.

Then we headed for the main course(s). The plates are NOT big enough. There was so much to choose from. I LOVE stuffing (at least MY stuffing) but I didn’t take very much of it just in case it wasn’t what I was expecting. I can’t even begin to tell you what all was on the buffet. There were all kinds of meats and casseroles and toppings for the potatoes and various styles of yams.

I took some of the green beans (which were delicious!), one of the sweet potato dishes (which was so rich it could have been pie filling), the stuffing, some of the cheesy rice/broccoli casserole (which I took a good size portion of that but it doesn’t taste at all like mine…actually it was pretty bad as far as I was concerned). There was creamy mac and cheese and of course various types of cranberry salads.

Then we got to the MAIN meat table (we both by-passed the fried chicken, roast beef and pork). There was turkey and ham. We both opted for the turkey. It was delicious! It was sooo tender and moist.

Dan totally surprised me by saying he was saving room for dessert! He normally doesn’t care about dessert at the end of a meal. He prefers to wait until just before bedtime. So, when we were done with the main meal we went to the dessert table.

Dan took a BIG scoop of cheesecake (hardly any crust to it), a slice of apple pie (the pies must’ve been cut into 12 slices because they were very small) and a BIG dollop of whip cream (which he said tasted like home made). I had a skinny piece of pecan pie and a little double rich brownie (about 2” square). I managed to eat the pie and had one bite of the brownie but I just couldn’t finish it! AND I LOVE CHOCOLATE BROWNIES!!

We don’t eat like this more than once or twice a year so we tried not to feel too guilty about it.

Earlier this week, we were due for some R&R. I do not consider shopping R&R but Dan wanted a new pillow and he told me “Get some damn jeans that fit you! Those are too baggy!” So, we went to one of the local Wal-Mart stores.

Dan and I both got a new pillow and we each got the same thing. I really didn’t think I’d be able to use the pillow because it is SO puffy (it is called a spa pillow; not sure why). My old standby pillow is basically like a large Tootsie Roll. I have a lot of neck issues due to wrong types or wrong size of a pillow so when I started using this bolster pillow for my night time pillow, I ceased to have neck aches which caused severe headaches.

I tried one of the new pillows and I could NOT use it so we need to return it. I’m back with my Tootsie Roll. Dan is keeping his pillow, but currently he is setting ON IT on the couch to try to “scrunch” it up. When he stands up, his pillow GROWS. It puffs back up. He has having issues sleeping with it because it is puffy and won’t stay UN-puffed.

And as far as the jeans, I found one pair that is the right size (a size smaller actually!!). There was only one pair left of these Lee jeans in that size! I hope when we go back to return the pillow that they have a new shipment of jeans in and I can get another pair! They ARE comfy!

The weather has been really good; yesterday was in the 70’s and lows in the 50’s. But over night the rain moved in and the temps have started dropping today. It is only 55 right now. Tonight it could get down to 38. But it is expected to be a mile winter in Georgia…however, they predict the drought conditions to continue on into next summer. How sad…

So that’s about it for us! We don’t have any time off again till starting on Monday. I told Dan next days off HE is supposed to pick where we go. He wants to go back to where we got the apples and get another peck and a couple of fried pies! He doesn’t want to explore southern Georgia in case we work in southern Georgia next season so we can explore it then.

Take care!

2 comments:

  1. For the first time in 38 years of marriage, we ate out this TG, too...I really missed the smell of the turkey in the house and my own dressing...but since our kids weren't going to be here for the holiday, we opted to meet some friends at Wahlstroms in Mqt. To our surprise, it was very delicious...much like your description of your meal and we had a terrific time visiting with our friends from downstate. Glad you are still having a great time in Georgia...we had really cold and snowy weather yesterday..have about 6 inches of snow now...but Monday it is supposed to get up to 40's and sunny here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Retired one, there is NOT anything like the smells we remember of family meals, is there? And of course, no stuffing tastes like our own. But we had a REALLY good meal and neither one of us wanted to have the 8 mile ride home!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive