Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Friday, November 19, 2010

I AM QUIET

Do you remember in July when I got so sick and went to the Dr 3 times with a sore throat and ear ache?  And that I didn't think I'd ever get over it?

About 10 days ago, I woke up one morning and realized my throat felt really sore.  I took a flashlight to look at my throat and couldn't see anything unusual, but I started the gargling with salt water routine.  I even bought some chewable Zicam (which made my throat burn). 

This went on for about a week.  It didn't get any worse and there were no other symptoms so I thought I probably had a plugged salivary gland that was making it feel like my throat was sore.

I got up one morning and didn't have any more sore throat!!  I had really been getting depressed over the whole thing, remembering how bad it was in July, so I was so happy that it was gone!

Then about two days ago, my throat felt dry and raspy.  I still couldn't see anything wrong with my throat but started gargling again.  By yesterday morning, I knew I had a cold.  I had gone through two of Dan's big, red hankies and 3 of my "women's" hankies.  I had a nasty head ache most of the day, my nose was plugged to the point that I could barely swallow without plugging up my ears and my chest was very congested.  Dan knew I didn't feel good when I told him at 10:30 a.m. that I was going back to bed.

I started on the Zicam again (this time it didn't bother my throat) and tried to hold my head still to keep it from exploding.  Last night seemed to go on forever.  My headache finally went away but my whole face felt like someone had punched me in the nose.  I seriously thought that when I got up this morning and ventured a look in the mirror that my face would be swollen with various shades of black and blue.  Dan said at one point last night he sat up in bed to see if I was alive because he couldn't hear me breathing at all.

So morning finally came and my headache was back.  I took a couple more Advil gel caps and came out to the living room, covered up with a blanket and sat and waited for the pounding to go away.  The congestion mainly is in my chest right now and I can breath through my nose again (which wasn't swollen or black and blue!).  But my voice sounds like Mickey Mouse with a sore throat...so needless to say I'm not talking too much!  Every time I do, Dan laughs at me!

Sunday starts our 4 days off and we are supposed to have beautiful weather up till Thanksgiving day.  I think Sunday will be grocery/errand day and Monday I hope we can go to the NW corner of Georgia.  There are a few battlefields there that we haven't visited before.

Dan wants to get himself a better camera.  When I got my Fuji, I gave him my Olympus.  It is a nice camera but it has one BAD feature...a delayed reaction.  By the time you press the shutter button half way to get the settings and get it focused and then press the shutter button the rest of the way, it take forever for it to actually take the shot.  Dan doesn't want one with a lot of bells and whistles but he wants one with more zoom and one that responds when ya push the shutter button.  I found a nice Fuji for him that is plain and simple, or you can monkey around with the settings if you want to.  So if the local Wal-Mart has that camera, we'll probably get it for him on Sunday.

While I was sitting here this morning under the blanket, I noticed two doe on the hill outside the window.  It was foggy so it would have been a nice shot (in more ways than one!!).  Dan was "upstairs" in the bedroom and I tried to "yell" at him to let him know about the deer but all that came out was a faint squeak (due to my cold).  He had a buck surprise him yesterday when he went for a walk, so he's got the fever and nothing he can do about it!

Hope all is well with you!!

6 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear you're not feeling well. My daughter had larengitis and the grandkids had strep throat. Lots of 'ickies' floating around already this season. Have a hot toddy and I'll tip one to your health.
    'hugs from afar'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan and Cathy, hope you will recover soon and enjoy the sunny Autumn in Georgia.
    This year is quite dry here although my swamp site still has water on the surface. I am trying to work harder for my field measurements, thus I will be able to go back to China this winter.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gee! I sure hope that you are feeling better soon. Seems like there are a lot of bugs around lately! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cher, I think I could use some hard cider!! THAT sounds like it would cure my being quiet!!

    Mono Mio, SO good to hear from ya! I wondered if you had gone home to China!! Hope you have a wonderful visit and you'll have to tell us all about it!

    Wendy, Thanks for the well wishes! I'm better today but still have talk much louder than a whisper! Makes it hard for me to yell at Dan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loquat is for cough and lung in Chinese medicine. Sometimes i would take the Ninjiom Pei Pa Koa which is an extract of loquat when got sore throat.

    You can access info online @
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nin_Jiom_Pei_Pa_Koa
    ninjiom.50webs.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katherine, thanks for that very interesting info! I'll have to write that down and see if I can find it...along with chocolate stars!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive