I’m not a person who takes pleasure in housework, but it is one of those things that has to be done. Fortunately with just the two of us, it isn’t too time consuming. But every once in a while I DO have to vacuum and dust and look for cobwebs (I use to joke I would leave them up and spray paint them green and red for Christmas).
About 4 or 5 years ago, I purchased the Hoover WindTunnel bagless canister vacuum. It was marked down from $399.00 to $199.
It does an excellent job of cleaning, but it is rather cumbersome to drag around behind you. It has an exceptionally long electric cord, so that is a nice feature. It use to have a headlight but it burned out a long time ago. I never could figure out the purpose of a headlight on a sweeper….is it for sweeping in the dark in hopes you don’t wake anyone up? If that is the case, there should be a silencer on the motor.
But about a month ago, the little 1” wheels that help hold the vacuum head up off the floor (just enough of a space so the brush can go round and round) started falling off. We’d put them back in place, but they wouldn’t stay there. Then one of them got sucked up into the machine.
I figured it was time to buy little replacement wheels and contacted Hoover to see if I could get them. Yes, I could get them. They are $1.39 a piece. Did I want to order a couple of them? Well of course I told them I did. Then they wanted to know how they would be held in place. Stop the order until I check into that question further.
Dan and I looked at the bottom of the sweeper head and there isn’t any way for them to be held in place! So why would the sell just the little wheels if there isn’t a way to hold them in place??
I contacted them again and told them we didn’t see any way to hold them in place which was “just as they thought”. WE HAD TO BUY THE WHOLE BOTTOM SIDE ASSEMBLY IN ORDER TO REPLACE THOSE TWO LITTLE $1.39 WHEELS! By the time the shipping was added on it came to over $43.00.
This part arrived two days ago. Dan and I both thought it would be an easy matter of unscrewing the bottom part and throwing it away then putting the new bottom part on and screwing it back into place.
Uh-huh. Didn’t work that way.
Attached to the bottom part (on the INSIDE of it) is the wiring and the motor. You have to remove all of that and reassemble it on the new bottom. What we thought would be a 5 minute job ended up taking about 45 minutes, several assorted screwdriver heads, a jack knife, electrical tape and a lot of whispered expletives.
I had also ordered a new belt since the old one had never been replaced. Dan got the belt on the roller and proceeded to put the housing back over the roller. I asked him at least 3 times “Don’t you have to attach the other end of the belt to the motor before you put the housing back over the roller?” I guess my timing was off because he finally said “WHY didn’t you tell me I had to get that $&% belt over the motor before I got this #$(^ roller head covered up??”
The project was finally completed and neither one of us really wanted to be the first to test it out, but Dan did take it for a spin first. That thing really IS self propelled now! It took him right down the hallway! We’d both forgotten that it actually could be that easy to push that sweeper head around! It LOVES to go zoom, zoom…as long as it is going forward. Then of course you have to drag it back so you can go forward again. I just wish the canister part was as easy to maneuver forward!
So, I must’ve really worn those little wheels down quite some time ago because this sweeper has come back to life! However, Dan told me if anything else needs replacing on that sweeper it is going in the dumpster and we’ll get a new one.
They sure don’t make it easy!
For the Record Book
6 days ago