Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Wednesday, September 01, 2010

TANNING THEIR HIDES!

There is a very friendly (darn it all) calico cat that has been hanging around for about 2 weeks now.  She is extremely friendly (darn it all) with everyone.  We don't WANT a cat so we are ignoring her and not giving her any encouragement...but our guests do.

We were hoping guests that had stayed in one of the cabins last week had decided to take her home with them.  We had suggested they could do that since they seemed to really like having her around when they were outside at the picnic table or campfire at the cabin.  They told us how kid friendly she was and told us what a good hunter she was too.

And now, we see the evidence of that.  There are bird feathers and chipmunk hides and squirrel tales all around.  We have found enough hides that we thought possibly the cat was thinking of tanning them for a fashionable fur coat.  I guess we can be happy she is taking care of the nuisance pests, but I'm not happy about the bird feathers (she isn't hunting in OUR yard...yet!). 

But I am an animal lover.  I woke up the other night and started worrying about where she was getting anything to drink while it had been so hot and dry.  Now, why should I let that thought interrupt my sleep??  I don't know!

She comes running out of the bushes from the house next door but that fellow has a dog so I don't think he claims her either.  I just hope she finds a different place to hunt and try to make friends SOON!  We don't want to find a litter of kittens under the deck!

We think the vacation rush is over!  It is like someone put the brakes on RIGHT NOW!  I've talked with motel owners in town and they said they have seen a big slow down the past couple of days too.  It is kind of scary.  We know the Labor Day weekends of years past aren't going to happen again anytime soon, but it would be nice to have HALF of what it use to be....other than the part of staying up most of the night checking people in or telling people (who can't find a motel room) they can sleep in their car in the overflow area.  We think back on those days and wonder if the U.P. will ever see those kind of Labor Day weekends again.    Hopefully fall colors will be excellent and people will still venture up this way for that.

5 comments:

  1. our leaves are about 2 weeks early so far...starting to color up, but just starting....
    hope your business booms at the end of the season...we have been on the highways of the U.P. and let me tell you, this is the most tourist traffic we have seen in the last 3 years..almost every other car is an RV or hauling a boat or an out of state license, so I think you will be busy..they gotta sleep somewhere, right? I know Van Riper State Park has been full all summer and overflowing to the nearby campgrounds too and we even see some campers parked at hotels in our area!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming your way in 2 days, to Curtis for Art on the Lake and then 2 weeks of peaceful nothing at a cabin. No phone,no internet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Retired One, business has been very good this August but it still isn't like it use to be. I use to jokingly gauge our business by how many cases of toilet paper we'd go through in a month...this month I'm gauging it by a $1782 light bill. That is a total for all 5 of our meters, but it was still a shock when I added them all up! State Parks are our biggest competition; Maggie, Newberry KOA, and I totally agree on that. At least when the Falls park is full they start handing out a sheet to campers that has a list of area campgrounds.

    Jasper, two weeks of peaceful nothing sounds pretty good to me!! Enjoy your time away and be safe on the road!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cathy, I'm back from vacation and trying to get caught up around blogland. Sheesh, I'm sooo far behind. But it's good to visit you again.

    Your new "home" in a prior posts looks fabulous! I hope it's wonderful and comfortable for you and Dan.

    I hear you about the concerns over the cat having kittens. Is there an SPCA in your area that will do a little "snip/snip" as a community service?

    Sorry to hear business is so slow. I hope Labor Day weekend turns out to be busy for you.

    Hope you are feeling good. Cheers, jj

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joanna, welcome back!! I tried to post on your last entry but I don't think it "took". There isn't a pet shelter anymore; the smart people of Newberry voted it down (and I WAS being sarcastic when I said "SMART") so there really is no recourse on stray critters be it cats or dogs. We sure wish there was.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive