Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Friday, September 17, 2010

MOST EMBARRASSING MOMENT

I have had several of those moments (well at the time they seemed like MINUTES) in my life. I’m old enough now to be able to share them with others without turning red faced or stammering for reasons as to why what happened happened.


The earliest embarrassing moment I can remember was as a child. I’m sure there were many moments that my parents were partially red faced, but THIS time I was partially red faced. I think I have shared this with you before but I am embarrassed to admit, I can’t remember.


I had a little bow and arrow set. The arrows were plastic with suction cups where the point would be. I’m not quite sure if I ever became proficient shooting the plastic arrows into anything hard enough so the suction cup would actually work. I’m guessing that I was NOT good at it; otherwise I wouldn’t have done what I did.


I LICKED one of the suction cupped arrows and firmly placed it on my little forehead. Then I couldn’t get it off from my forehead. I remember that I did NOT want to run and tell my mother (I was at least old enough to know that it would be a case of I TOLD YOU SO, or WHY DID YOU DO THAT??). But pull as I might, that plastic arrow was not going to come off the middle of my forehead…and I began to panic. I finally had to go to the kitchen and show my mother my latest escapade.


I don’t remember if my mother laughed (I mean she would have HAD to, right??) and I don’t remember how she removed the arrow/suction cup. I’m assuming she was smart enough to “peel” the rubber a bit at a time from my skin until it lost its grip. All I remember is I had a big, red, perfect circle in the middle of my forehead for a very long time.


But that isn’t my most embarrassing moment.


When I was much older and had a daughter of my own, I had another moment (minutes for sure this time) that sticks out in my mind.


My daughter was about 8 months old and was in a frog leg cast (from her little waist down over her little toes). There was a wooden ‘bar’ between her feet to keep her in that position. It could be difficult carrying her at times.

She and I went with her daddy to the farm implement dealer in Sturgis. She and I waited in the truck because it was just more convenient than trying to hold her. But time was going slowly and her daddy was not coming out of the store. So I picked her up, slid her across my front so I could perch her bar on my right hip and went into the store.


The salesman and her daddy were writing up the order and they both acknowledged that we came in. They both went back to what they were doing…for a very brief moment.


The salesman looked at me again with big eyes. Then her daddy looked at me and tried to give me a signal with HIS eyes. I wasn’t sure what he was getting at and I just kept walking towards them. Then he nodded his head and looked towards my chest area and then looked at me again.


I finally got the hint and looked downward. When I had picked my daughter up and slid her across in front of me, the motion had unbuttoned almost all of my blouse so my ‘GIRLS’ and their bra were right out there for all to see. Yep, my little girl (this time I mean my daughter) and I beat a retreat to the truck.

But that wasn’t my MOST embarrassing moment.

After Dan and I moved up here, got the campground opened, all the I’s dotted and the T’s crossed, we realized we had a beaver problem in our sewage lagoon. Yep there were a couple of those critters cutting down trees and playing in the fenced in lagoon. They could cause a LOT of damage to that clay lined lagoon.


Since Dan didn’t have a license for trapping we went to the DNR to see what they wanted us to do or if they would live trap the beavers. The DNR officer we were referred to was a very nice looking, dark complected man but he didn’t seem to sympathize with our problem. Dan and I had already talked about the fact that we hoped the beavers wouldn’t have to be killed and hoped the DNR would offer a better solution.


For whatever reason, the officer made me feel badly about the whole thing and it just seemed like we got off on the wrong foot with our conversation.

He was on his way out the door to make us copies of the permit we would need to shoot the beavers, but in an effort to lighten the mood, I said “It looks like you just got back from vacation”. He motioned his head towards his very cluttered desk and said “It is always like that.” I replied, “OH, I didn’t mean your desk. You just look very tanned”.


He gave me a funny look and went on out to the copier. At this time, Dan nudged me and pointed towards the man’s name plate on his desk. THE MAN’S NAME WAS OFFICER PEREZ!!

There was nothing further I could say when he returned other than pay for the permit and thank him for his time.

NOW, THAT HAS BEEN MY MOST EMBARRASSING MOMENT…at least as far as I can remember! But I think we tend to have selective memory at times, don’t we, hmmmm???

What is YOUR most embarrassing moment??

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:41 AM

    My most embarrassing moment as a "kid" was when my mother found my stash of what she called girlie magazines...I was 12 years old. I'm 74 now and still remember the sting of her words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous, I don't know whether I should chuckle at this or feel badly for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How funny, Cathy..ALL of these! Thank goodness you didn't go get a KNIFE to pry the arrow off your forehead, you would have given your mom a heart attack. Oh, and thank goodness you wore a bra back then. ha
    One of my classics was that I gave a speech once to a huge crowd (mostly women,some men) and every once in a while I saw the men chuckling...I couldn't understand why as it was kind of a motivational kind of subject.
    Finally at the end, one of them came up and said.."you looked at me funny when I was laughing once, so I figured you didn't know why..."..well you said (about five times) that you were gung ho about something...but what you REALLY said was you were "go hung". EVERY TIME.
    OH LORD!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive