Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

THREE WEEKS EARLY

I hate to say this, and I HAVEN'T said it, but I WILL say it now....

2 weeks ago,I noticed yellow and blushes of pink and light orange shades at the top of the neighbors maple trees.  The past 10 days, I've noticed reds and purples at the tops of some of our maple trees in the woods.  The past 5 days, I have basically been able to set and watch the cherry tree leaves turning yellow.  This is too early!!!  About 3 weeks too early!!!

And the trees can't be stressed because we have had plenty of rain and decent temps, and while the days are getting shorter, they aren't any shorter than they would be every year at this time so that can't be it.  I feel it is going to be an early season for our leaf peepers.

I will be updating the Eastern U.P. fall color report at http://www.michiweb.com/easternup/reports/color.html

I won't start updating for a while other than to maybe share this same info that I am posting here but if you are one of da U.P. leaf peepers, you will know where to find the info for the fall colors!

(BTW, it continues to be ungodly hot and humid here.  So much so that I've started fixing supper in the morning so all I have to do at night is warm it up in the microwave.  And with the humidity, trying to push the vacuum across the carpeting is a joke!  And this vacuum cleaner is pretty much self propelled but it just doesn't want to go either!!  How is the weather in  YOUR neck of the woods??)

11 comments:

  1. wilson8:14 AM

    south east michigan...hot & sticky... had enough already! worst summer for hot & humid in recent memory

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:40 AM

    HOT IN CADILLAC TOO! Good reason right there not to have to do housework!!! Pity the animals outside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:30 AM

    Tennessee, 99 today. Has been in the high 90's for the last week. Heat index 105. WHERE IS FALL?? SEND IT THIS WAY...PLEASE!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gary H.12:21 PM

    S.W. Mich.: temps in high 80 to low 90 range with high 60 to 70% humidity along with little to no wind. I can hardly wait until after Labor Day and we go UP there !!! Now the major problem is finding a dog sitter for two carsick coonhounds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So hoping the weather cools down. Two more weeks until we come north (Curtis, MI) from central Ohio where it is 90+ and so humid it is like a sauna.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wilson, these temps ALL OVER the past week have been unreal! When the trees started turning colors, it hadn't been hot like this so that is why I feel they weren't stressed too badly.

    Anonymous in Cadillac, I worry about the animals outside to! Even the birds have been sitting at the bird bath with their beaks open!

    Anonymous in Tn, I saw the other day that Memphis was 110!!! I HOPE that was the heat index and not the real temp!

    Gary, You don't want to travel with car sick coonhounds??!!! HA! Enjoy the temps; snow is around the corner, right??

    Jasper, I would love to go to Cedar Point, but I think even if I had free admission for 3 days, I would have to pass on it because of the heat! EVEN IF I WAS FIRST IN LINE WITH NO WAITING!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:55 PM

    Just checked my temp. in the shade100.6!!! Love to read your adventures Cathy. From the hot..hot state of Tennessee.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hot and sticky here in Michigamme too! We have been grilling a lot and then taking a long boat ride every night around 7p to cool off....that helps..and lots of fans going...
    Today the temps were down but the humidity stayed so high it still felt like in the 80's...we got a slight drizzle of rain today but it's 5p now and sunny as can be. Housework? NOPE..we are not cleaning anything this week...hard enough to pick up the thousands of apples falling off my trees in my yard without sweating a bunch..btw, the apples are about 3 weeks early to ripen this year too..have already baked a few pies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous in Tn...we've been thinking about venturing through that way on our way to our winter job in Georgia (well, we WILL be venturing through TN anyway but I mean actually doing some looking!). We LOVE Tennessee and especially enjoy the Cades Cove area. And there is a nice campground we have stayed at called Indian something or other...and the name of the town it is close to is either Tellico Plains or Townsend. We like Elkmont too (near Gatlinburg).

    Retired One...you must have a/c if you are baking pies!! Dan's been picking up a few apples from our trees too but not enough to do anything with. And I know FIRST HAND you make a wonderful apple pie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous6:42 AM

    Hey Cathy, I agree Tennessee is beautiful. If your near Tellico Plains check out Sweetwater. There is a dairy there that sells some of the best cheese I've ever had. Plenty of free samples.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous in Tn, we will try to do that! Dan LOVES cheese!!! Especially if it is free!! Thanks for that idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive