Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Friday, July 02, 2010

WE ARE BLESSED!!! (OR MAYBE WE'RE SPOILED??)

A couple of days ago, I felt a cold coming on which for most people isn’t a big deal…just an inconvenience. But for me it can be a very big deal. When I felt the soreness in my throat I started gargling with salt water. For the past two days, I’ve sounded like a squeaky rubber duck bath toy.


The next day I had the chills to the point I had a fleece jacket on and had a heavy blanket wrapped around me. And I was just SO tired. I can’t remember feeling that tired in a very long time. The hard part was I still had the office to run, but in the morning I had managed to put a nice big roast in the crock pot, so at least supper wouldn’t be an issue.

When Dan came in in the late afternoon, I told him I wasn’t even up to fixing instant potatoes so unless he wanted to do something with the gravy (I always put cream of mushroom soup mixed with dry onion soup mix over the roast) or make himself a hot beef sandwich, I just couldn’t finish fixing supper and I wasn’t particularly hungry anyway.

Dan being the good hubby that he is took the roast out of the crock pot, poured the juices and mushroom soup mixture into a bowl and proceeded to clean everything up. About an hour later, one of our guests showed up with a plate full of crispy fried bluegills. The smell of those fish gave me a bit of an appetite (thanks, Ed and Sharon Stager!).

I went to bed about 8:30 that night and left Dan to fend for himself in the office. The next morning I felt a bit better but not quite human yet. While I was icing my knee, another one of our guests stopped by the office and told Dan for us not to worry about fixing supper that night (which would have been last night) because they were going to bring us fried chicken, mac and cheese, biscuits and brownies (thanks Fred and Laura Fritz!).

This was a heaven sent meal! And there is enough for another meal for the both of us. The chicken is so moist and the seasoning/coating on it is wonderful! We were so full last night that we didn’t get into the brownies!

I think we are blessed AND spoiled!

So, sometime today, I’m going to have to slice up that roast, make some gravy from some of the juice and freeze the rest of it!

This weekend has shaped up nicely with only a few campsites left and the lodging all rented. It helps when the 4th of July falls on a Sunday because most people get Monday off…gives them a longer weekend to play. I just hope we don’t have issues with guests setting off firecrackers. We have enough noise from the neighbors over the 4th. Some of our neighbors have gotten a very early start…like at 5:45 this morning! Thankfully it was just a couple loud ones but I can imagine what the rest of the weekend will be like. And what I don’t understand is that in the State of Michigan, fireworks are illegal but people still have them. Anything that leaves the ground in any way, shape or form is illegal in Michigan (unless you are licensed to actually display fireworks). Some of our neighbors not only make a LOT of noise, but put on quite an impressive display in the sky. We don’t need to go to Naubinway, Curtis, Paradise or Grand Marais to see fireworks! But these neighbors do this AFTER the other fireworks are over with so it can be quite disruptive that time of night.

Have a happy and SAFE 4th of July weekend!

(Can I tell you something without you laughing at me??? You promise, right?? You won’t think I’m a klutz, right? OK?? Do you remember this past spring when I had to have that tooth pulled and I opted to NOT get a bridge?? Well, that leaves me with a “blank spot” where that tooth use to be. I’ve been sucking on Halls cough drops for the past couple of days and I got one of the darn things wedged in that “hole”! I had a helluva time getting it out! Why is it that something that slides into a space that easily doesn’t come back out as easily as it went in??)

12 comments:

  1. Gary H.10:16 AM

    The cough drop falls under "Murphy's Law", if something(anything) can go wrong it can and will and usually at the MOST inopportune time. If not for my fraidy-cat dogs, I can buy fireworks only 60 miles away in Indiana, along with cheaper gas and cigarettes. Have a GREAT holiday weekend !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh Cathy, you have such nice guests! The food sounds great and just when you really needed it. I hope you were able to nip the cold in the bud and are feeling better.

    Wishing you and Dan a great and safe July 4th.
    xo jj

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's why my buddies chew lifesaves...it has a hole in it and we could still breath if it got stuck in our throats....

    ReplyDelete
  4. what awesome campers....I like to do that too....I made stuffed shells last year when we camped at Brimley and took some up to the dude in the gaurd house...he acted like he couldn't believe his eyes...I am glad to hear there are other folks like me that aren't afraid to show there appreciation!...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gary, I guess Murphy's law can explain it (it has happened to me twice!! Maybe I SHOULD get that bridge!) Just wanted to let you and anyone else know, you missed a song title a day or so ago...AND did you hear they are trying to legalize fireworks in Michigan (so you don't have to have a permit)??

    Joanna, I still squeak like a rubber duck and this morning my right ear has a lot of pressure behind it but I DO feel better! Hope your 4th is great and that you aren't eating escargo!! (probablly didnt' spell that correctly!!)

    Tractor Guy, you crack me up! HA! I wonder if they make cough drops with holes in the middle? I better not try it or it might get LOOPED around a tooth!

    Amy, we DO have awesome campers! And those awesome campers who brought us the chicken are actually going to be in the Newberry 4th of July parade this morning! They will be throwing candy to kids and dog treats for dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found the song. I post'd it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You got the other one, but you missed the last one. Look again!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gary H.10:39 PM

    Would that be "Sky High" by Jigsaw - 1975 ?

    Happy Independence Day !!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sky High by Kid Cudi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gary, yep, that's the one I was thinking of!

    Tractor guy, I've never heard that one before but I'm sure more than one version exist!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm behind in reading blogs....had a ton of company here for 4 days...
    How awful to get a cold and get sick this time of year, especially when you are so busy.
    But you did make me laugh about the Hall's coughdrop.....I could just see you trying to get it out! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Retired one...I HOPE you enjoyed your house full of company! Knowing you, I bet you were totally happy to have family/friends around for the holiday! Tha Halls' coughdrop is one I won't forget!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive