Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Monday, July 19, 2010

MY HANDYMAN

We all know that duct tape is the Handy Man’s helper….but do we really know who the Handy Man is?


My Handy Man has an assortment of pliers, measuring tapes, hammers, drills, saws, nails, screws, and everything in between. He also has an extensive variety of empty coffee cans and empty Kool-Aid containers which he stores his screws, nails, bolts, nuts and what all in. He has several tool boxes; I can say with certainty that one is for nothing but electrical stuff and another is for nothing but plumbing stuff. I’m not sure what all the other ones are. I DO know one of them USE to be my tackle box! That man of mine can make use out of anything.

He has cabinets and shelves and cupboards. He has peg paneling so he can hang stuff up on the walls (like hose nozzles, extra fence wire, bags of plastic washers, paint brushes, extra blades for his Exacto knife and I don’t know what all). He has items that he won’t part with because he “might need it sometime”….not sure what he plans on doing with a couple of 3 legged milking stools, or antique horn cutters, but maybe in another 20 years, he will find a purpose for them.


And in all of his collections of stuff, he knows where everything is. He can send me out there to get the garden shears and tell me exactly where I should be looking….and I look, and look and look and I can’t see them. He can come out and pick them off that pegboard with his eyes closed.

Dan isn’t one to go to the local lumberyard or hardware store and drool over tools that he doesn’t have or that he wishes he had. He is pretty practical. He has the necessities to be a good Handy Man plus the desire to invent and improvise. If there is a problem that others would say can’t be fixed, Dan will find a way to fix it and probably use one of those 3 legged milking stools in the process.

Several years ago, when we were remodeling our kitchen and builing our own "peninsula" counter top, Dan needed to sand it down.  We didn't want dust flying all over the place, so he some how he took a teat cup from the milker that he brought with him from the farm, hooked it up to the sander and "captured" the dust and grit in a bag.  It worked pretty slick!

Tim the Tool Man Taylor and the Bob Vila have met their match in Dan.

2 comments:

  1. I can SO relate! We just "organized" and cleaned the garage this past weekend! I now have a brand new corner for just my gardening stuff...which is great..but his "man corner" needs some work. He isn't as organized as Dan with the pegboards, etc....its in heaps in his corner, but he can usually tell you where stuff is.We have accumulated so much because when his dad died he got most of his tools and even some from when my dad passed....and then we bought TWO old houses that were FULL of tools plus a lot with a huge old garage in it full of tools. I swear he must have over 15 hammers alone...but he swears he is selling a lot of the tools when we have our rummage sale this fall. We'll see.....
    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish your husband Dan would rub off on my hubby Greg! He is a little handy....but definitely not as handy as your guy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive