Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Tuesday, June 01, 2010

PRAY FOR RAIN; A FIRE AT BETSY LAKE, LUCE COUNTY ANDANOTHER ONE 3 MILES WEST OF RAINBOW LODGE

I don't have much information to give you other than what I'm sharing with you right now....and I wouldn't have even known about this fire yet had it not been for someone who owns property in the area of Betsy Lake.

But, there IS a fire at Betsy Lake.  I was not told how much it has burned or if it is considered at all contained.  I was told it is up on a ridge and away from any cabins.  I was given this much info by the DNR.

I asked the DNR officer that I spoke with if he felt this would turn into another Sleeper Lake Fire and he responded "not at this point".

Where it is burning at Betsy Lake is pretty green and mossy so it is moving slowly and they are working diligently on it, but resources can quickly get stretched because they are also working on a 5-7 acre fire west of Rainbow Lodge.  It sounds like this one is contained, but Betsy Lake is not contained at this time.

These fires were caused from lightening strikes.

If and when I have more info, I will post it for you.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:08 PM

    lET'S HOPE THIS ISN'T ANOTHER ONE LIKE YOU GUYS HAD A COUPLE YEARS AGO. YOU DID A FANTASTIC JOB REPORTING ON THAT FIRE AND WE RELIED ON YOUR BLOG TO KEEP US INFORMED.

    BILL FROM GRAND RAPIDS, MN

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill, and others, first of all, I dont' know why Blogger is sometimes posting comments twice so that is why you are seeing a couple of comments that have been deleted. But anyway, it is good news that the fire west of the Mouth of the Two Hearted is contained and didn't get very big so they can concentrate efforts on the Betsy Lake fire. It is VERY windy today so that isn't helping and we only have a 50% chance of rain tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:22 PM

    Another blog that I check once in a while also said that they had problems with comments s howing up more than once so it isn't just yours.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive