Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

NUTTIN' MUCH

I have truly enjoyed reading your responses on the last two posts!  I especially like your Grandma and Grandpa memories.  And one of my readers is even familiar with the St. Joseph Co Fair!  That person is probably familiar with the fact that if there was a drought in St. Joe Co, it would end the 3rd week of September when the fair started.  I've even seen snow during fair week!

Today was my first day "out" and driving since my knee surgery last week.  I'm still not very graceful at getting in the truck (it's a high stepper!!) and I was glad I had a shopping cart to "lean" on while I was in the store!  Tomorrow a.m. I have to drive to the Soo for my check up and to get my stitches out.  We are expecting heavy rain in the a.m. and it is supposed to clear out about 8:30 a.m.  I figure on leaving about 9 a.m.  Hopefully the Weather Wizards are correct and it'll be all over with by the time I leave.

And I HOPE I can get a parking spot near the Dr's office and not have to park two blocks away in the parking garage.  Dan and I have NEVER had any luck with that garage.  Oh, we can find a place to park, but the last time we were in there, it didn't give us a ticket and the time before, it wouldn't take my money when I was ready to leave.

On the news this morning was a story about a guy and his son who sell grapes out of his vehicle.  The son reached in to get a bunch of grapes and discovered a black widow spider.  You know me and spiders.  Brrrrrrrr....  When we lived down state, I had purchased a bunch of grapes, got it home and discovered a spiders webby nest in the grapes.  I didn't even BOTHER trying to find the spider.  The whole thing went outside to the trash.  I bought grapes today and washed and checked them thoroughly.  A while later, after Dan had brought in the mail and tossed my mail (aka bills) on my lap, I noticed a spider on my shirt!  I tried not to go spastic (my knee wouldn't allow much spastic activity anyway) and "calmly" asked Dan to get that $$^*@ spider off my shirt!  When he came over to attend to the creepy critter I realized that it was a tick!  I can't believe it was on the grapes so the only other thing we can come up with was it was in the Rubbermaid mailbox and ended up on the bills he dropped on my lap.

All the time that I spend outside around trees and picnic tables and grass and under the tree limbs mowing, I've not had a tick in years.  Go get the mail (or grapes??) and I get a tick!  WE both feel creepy crawly now!

Tell the truth; do you feel a little crawly too???

8 comments:

  1. Now I'm going to be checking my grapes and ALL fruit more carefully Cathy - thanks for the warning - lol!! Spiders send me screaming. A few weeks ago I was walking down to the dock, noticed a curious hole and bent down to get a closer look, a big brown recluse spider popped his head out! Needless to say I was running like an ax murderer was chasing me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelley, you're welcome...but brrrr.....About the spider hole you found; could it have been a wolf spider? I don't know much about the recluse except for the one I had on a wood pile I picked up in Louisianna, but wolf spiders live in holes in the ground that they make. Maybe recluse's do too??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy - I bet you're right! Wolf spider or Brown Recluse - both scare the heck out of me! And what's a spider doing in a hole anyways.....lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will you two STOP it already? Brown recluses, wolf spiders...oh GOD...I am going to have to pull off all the covers from my bed and look at it with a spotlight tonight and then go into my refrigerator and look at every single vegetable and fruit in there and.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shelley, I get goosebumps thinking about spiders.

    Retired One...ya,ya better check those things or have hubby check them for ya. You have heard on the Discovery channel how many spiders we swallow in our sleep???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gary H.10:25 AM

    But how many spiders would it take to make a decent meal ? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gary, OMG!!!! YUCK!!!!! But I bet one good size wolf spider would do it! And it wouldn't be a happy meal! And it probablly wouldn't be one that would stay down! Let's change the subject; puppies and posies, pupppies and posies...my happy place, babies laughing....

    ReplyDelete
  8. A tick! Yikes!!!!! Those babies can cause some problems. So glad you at least saw it before it decided to have you for lunch. And yep, creepy crawly is the best way to describe it.

    I'll send the parking fairy your way for the doc appointment and hope you get a spot right out front. good luck with the stitches and stay dry!

    jj

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive