Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Friday, May 14, 2010

WHERE ARE THEY???

DOES ANYONE IN DA U.P. HAVE HUMMINGBIRDS YET????  We've NEVER had them be this late in arriving!!!  According to the migration map they HAVE made it as far as the Marquette area and even over by the Soo.  But we haven't seen a one yet!

We do have our usual ONE rose breasted grosbeak and there is an abundance of blue jays this year.  Others have commented about how many jays there are (the robins won't stand a chance raising any babies with all the darn jays).  We've seen up to 7 evening grosbeaks at one time (that is low too).  And one lone cardinal flew by the other day and haven't seen him since, but we have never seen a cardinal  here before.  I think the darn cowbirds are as plentiful as the blue jays.

Tomorrow is the day for the caravan of RV's to arrive.  At least it isn't supposed to be snowing sideways this year when they get here!

It looks like it is going to be a beautiful day.  We finally got some rain yesterday afternoon and into the evening.  It has been so darn cold though...well, it feels cold to me...highs in the mid 50's.  That's about right for this time of year, but I guess I DID get spoiled on temps by not being here this winter!

Let me know about the hummers, eh?

6 comments:

  1. No hummers yet down here in troll land. I think it has been just too cold yet! Our Canadian geese are having their goslings. We have a family of 9 in our pond now!
    Tim is shooting to get up to camp with the guys Memorial Day weekend. He is soooooo looking forward to it!
    So am I! Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have NOT seen any hummingbirds either! We're in the Crystal Falls area. We usually get them anytime in the first two weeks of May. Their feeders are hung out and waiting. However; we have had a bear tearing down our suet and finch feeders. ARGH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have had evening grosbeaks here all throughout the entire winter...we had one lone Cardinal that we saw three separate times through this winter and spring,but now we haven't seen him in over a month. We have had blue jays here (up to 12at a time) all winter and through this spring.We have a ton of cowbirds, grackles and now the red winged blackbirds are here too. We have a lot of chipping sparrows, but have seen no pine siskins at all. We never look for hummingbirds here until after June 1st, but we have seen them in May some years. This morning we had a bright ORANGE bird with a blush of RED on its chest and a beak like a grosbeak,so we don't know WHAT that was, I will post iton my blog soon so someone will help me identify it..it wasn't an evening grosbeak,but I am sure it was a type of grosbeak.
    We also have a male and female rose breasted grosbeak here..just one couple only from what I can tell....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Cathy, Hope things warm up for you soon! Cold dampness is the worst.

    Happy weekend,
    jj

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have not seen any Hummers here in Paradise, Our feeders are out but no takers. We love to watch them and miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Retired One, your description of that bird (except for the size of it) sounds like a scarlet tananger. Let me know if you find out what it is/was?

    Joanna, this cold and damp doesn't help my hives at all...or my mood! I get bored easily this time of year and I've read so many books lately they are all running in to each other (if that makes sense!)

    Camp Runamuk, I sure hope they show up soon! I'm getting worried about them. Let me know if you see any!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive