Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

TO MOW OR NOT TO MOW

It is so very dry.  But, as usual, the dandelions are thriving, and so are their fuzzy headed friends.

Isn't it amazing how that sort of pretty yellow flower can become a fuzz head on a stalk?  And they seem to get taller and the stalk sturdier after the flower has disappeared.  Oh, I complain about mowing these darn things every year and thankfully, I THINK for this year they are about done.  They arrived quite early.

 Dan left yesterday afternoon to head to Iron Mountain to the VA hospital for a bunch of tests that he has (starting this a.m.)  I thought I'd get caught up on some mowing.  If it weren't for those fuzzy headed "things" (as polite as I can be), it wouldn't really be necessary to mow.

And it is SO dry that the grass is starting to "burn up" in places.  The only thing that is really helping to keep it green is the morning dew.  Dan called last night and said that between here and Iron Mountain is terribly dry.

I got out the old faithful red push mower yesterday to TRY to mow our yard with.  I prefer to mow our yard with it since it clips it shorter, and it is good exercise too.  Usually starting that mower is a bugger; the "pull cord" is longer than my arm can reach behind me but it started right off.  Even THAT is good exercise!

Dan had told me that the deck was pretty much shot, but the motor is terrific.  I guess I don't remember the deck being THAT shot.  I don't know what is holding that terrific motor in place!  There certainly isn't much holding that right rear wheel in place!  Which meant it was like trying to push mow by using a concrete block and pushing it around with a broomstick.  I gave up and got the small rider out and finished the job.  We need to find an old mower that has a great deck and a crappy engine and switch it out!

The Cable Guy is suppose to be here today.  THAT means that we will have TV!!!  So campers, ya better flock in since the cable will be turned on to the campsites!  If you remember, we haven't had TV since we got home over a month ago (I've enjoyed it; Dan has not).  I think one reason Dan left about an hour earlier than I figured he would yesterday was so he could get to the motel and watch TV.  He has had FOX news withdrawal for quite a while now...well, that and Survivor.  I have truly missed NCIS, and CSI (Las Vegas one).  So, when Dan gets home, much later today, if all goes well,  he'll be able to watch the finale of Survivor.

Well, I've got a red raspberry pie burning, er, I mean BAKING in the oven so I better go tend to that!

CAMPGROUND AND LODGING IS OPEN SO COME ON UP!!  There are still plenty of campsites for over Memorial Day and I think the Little Lodge is still available (cabins are rented).

Hope to see ya this summer!!

4 comments:

  1. ..you did say RASPBERRY pie, didn't you???? oh. Lawd...it is my favorite pie! What time do you want me there? :0}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Retired one, RED raspberry pie!!! IGA had frozen bags on sale $2.00 for a 12 ounce bag. I didn't get any fresh red berries last summer so I splurged! And it is GOOD!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Red raspberry pie-- Oh my! That sounds fabulous.

    Hope Dan's tests all turn out okay.

    Any chance of rain in the forecast??

    Be well,
    jj

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joanna, the pie is DELICIOUS!! Especially with a glass of COLD skim milk!! No rain in our forecast for as far out as the Weather Wizards predict.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive