Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Saturday, May 08, 2010

SINK YOUR TEETH INTO THIS STORY

Click on the link to go to the story;

Ex-inmate with bad gums can sue over no toothpaste


Houston Chronicle

Flanory, a former Michigan inmate who says he was denied toothpaste for ... his lawsuit Thursday, May 6, 2010 against officials at the Newberry prison. ...
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/nation/6995178.html

This story was also picked up by the Miami Herald, the Kansas City Star and the San Luis Obisop (whatever that is!!).

Read the comments after you read the story....

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:47 PM

    You can clean/Brush your teeth without toothpaste. What a waste of taxpayers money. His own fault for having gum disease, Not the prisons
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Massachusetts, they recently instituted a new law that daycare providers and pre-schools who have children that stay for a meal period (or more than four hours) have to brush their teeth while there. I thought this was great, as it's one more way to ensure that the sticky residue from the fruit snacks I swore I'd never let my kids eat gets brushed away expeditiously. As an aside, I was a little shocked to learn last week that raisins are just as bad in regards to sugar (yes, it's fructose instead of corn syrup, but still) getting stuck to their teeth as fruit snacks! Just when you think you're providing a healthy alternative...but I digress.I was offered the chance to try the new Sonicare for Kids electric toothbrush, and I couldn't wait to tell H. He was ridiculously excited, but what boy doesn't love to get new electronics? It came with different 'face plates' that could make the brush handle more customizable, and two brush heads; one designed for 7+ year-olds, and one designed for 4+year olds. Because H loves to brush, but Charlie primarily bites down, or chews, on the toothbrush, I decided to use one for each, even if the ages didn't exactly correspond. The brush heads were comparable to the ones they currently use, so I thought it would be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Give me a break. That's crazy.

    How've you been Cathy? I hope all is well and you are feeling good. I've been swamped and out of town. I'm finally able to read and catch up so I'm off to se your older posts.

    Hope you have a fun and relaxing weekend.
    xoxo
    jj

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous, his next excuse would be he couldn't afford a good toothbrush. Amazing how the law works!!

    P Whiter, I swear by electric toothbrushes (bet ya wouldn't find those in prison!!) I have a Sonicare and LOVE it (rather expensive for the heads though). And I never would have thought raisens were now a problem for teeth!!! Your comments were very enlightening!

    Joanna, Isn't it nuts??!!! Other than the cold and the knee thing, I've been good (thank you for asking). It should be relaxing; too cold to do anything! 25 degrees this morning!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive