Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Monday, May 31, 2010

FIRST TIME FOR EVERYTHING

I’ve NEVER owned any sweatpants. I have quite a few sweat shirts, but no sweat pants.


Dan has 3 pair of sweatpants which he only would wear after knee surgery.

While Dan does have sweatpants, he has no junk in the trunk. When he suggested to me that I could wear his sweatpants home after my knee surgery, I thought he was trying to make a funny…but he was serious.

I figured all I would do is embarrass myself and stretch those sweatpants to the max.

I CAN wear them! True, they aren’t as baggy on me as they are on Dan, but problem solved!

Well except the issue of their name..sweatpants. And with the temps WE have had I am not looking forward to spending any length of time in sweatpants.

So, I went to the Family $$ store to see what I could find. I realize I’m still going to have to look somewhat presentable to the public until I can put my jeans back on again (I am NOT looking forward to being seen by ANYONE while I’m wearing sweatpants but I may just have to suck it up. Maybe I can wear a little sign that says “I normally don’t dress like this”). I found some stretchy material, black Capri pants.

I really don’t have to ask that age old question of Do these pants make my butt look big(ger). I KNOW without asking they are about the most unflattering thing an already over weight person could wear! But I’m good to go!

I’ve got some changes I’m making in my office setting next week. For starters, I’m moving the desktop computer TO the desktop. Currently, it sets under the desktop on a shelf along with the Wild Blue modem and a large UPS (and all the darn cables that go along with it). The printer sets on my desktop so it is going to have to be moved in order to make this change.

The reason for the change is anytime I need to get to the back of the computer (which thankfully isn’t that often) it means getting down on my knees (which I’m told I shouldn’t be doing). And it IS just plain inconvenient…and I can’t keep that shelf clear of dust bunnies that accumulate…which means it is difficult to keep the computer clean too.

I look at that mangled mess of cables and it amazes me with all that mankind can do, that we still have to have ALL of that going on in order to have a desktop computer.

That same day, I’m getting a switch so I can move my router to the window so we HOPEFULLY will have a better range of access for WIFI for our guests. The switch will “host” the 4 or 5 cables that currently go into the router and there will be a 30’ long cable coming out of the switch that will attach to the router in its new location. And hopefully with the router being that far away from the office it won’t interfere with my headset. I had to actually put it in a closet so the “radio frequency” of the router wouldn’t clash with my phone headset (other wise all I had was static in my ears! So, the little guy will be coming out of the closet.

How was your holiday weekend? Camping guests (and some others that stopped by to say HI!) said that once they got past Mackinac Bridge there was hardly any traffic, but Mackinaw City was PACKED. There really wasn’t much traffic on our road either. But, thankfully, we’ve already got a lot of reservations this summer. I think that should be a good indicator of people traveling again this year so we should see quite a bit of “drive up” campers as well. Our lodging is by reservation unless someone shows up and we do have availability. And the lodging has quite a few reservations as well. Most people that have rented the Little Lodge are staying a full week. We’ve got a few weekly rentals on the cozy cabins, but I think most of the cabin reservations booked are 2-4 days.
Our son, his significant other Trish and two of the grandkids (the youngest two) have been up this weekend. We sold them our pop up camper, so they’ve been staying in it and hopefully having a good time! Now I can worry about them making that LONG trip back to Indiana.

Dan and I hope that you all had a safe Memorial Day weekend and while it seems to be the “official start” to summer activities, we do hope you do remember the real reason for Memorial Day and have in some way thought of or honored past, present and future American Veterans.

6 comments:

  1. So glad you got to spend some time with family...hope your knee is better soon....never mind what the stretch pants look like...that is just normal U.P. wear. haaaa
    It has been so warm here for May, I figured your campers would start arriving in droves....I know Van Riper and Michigamme Shores was almost full to capacity this weekend holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:03 AM

    We stayed at Wilderness park not to far from Mackinac city and there were quite a few rv's at the park. Mackinac was very busy, but when we drove across to St. Ignace it wasn't that crowded with traffic there. We headed to Cut River bridge and there was hardly any traffic on US 2 that day. I think that was Saturday. But I-75 going home on Monday was busy. We live down by Reed city so we didn't have a long way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Retired one, I don't know how long the recovery time will be for the knee scope. I hope not long becuase Dan does not want to be in the office! It WAS wonderful having part of the family here and in a way I'm glad we weren't busy; gave us lots of time to spend with them. As far as campers, in the 20 years we've been here, we never really start to see an "influx" until about mid June...makes for a SHORT season!

    Anonymous, I'm anxious to see what the bridge crossing stats are for this May compared to last May, but as I said, there just wasn't any traffic on our road (St Hwy M-123). Haven' been to Wilderness State Park in MANY years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi glad you had time to send with family.I did flowers for my sisters grave site.took the tractor to the Dansville parade. i have tuesday off for R&R.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tractor Guy, I don't recall that you ever told me about your sister. I'm sure it never gets much easier to do that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive