Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Monday, May 17, 2010

DRIVE MY CAR

As you know, I don’t follow many blogs, but the ones I do follow are special to me and each for their own reason.


One blog I DO follow is The Fifty Factor. I don’t remember how I stumbled across her blog; maybe it was the catchy title (considering I am a 50 factor).


I enjoy her posts for a couple of reasons. One, she is very talented and writes so you feel you are there; if she was writing about baking chocolate chip cookies, you’d swear you could smell the cookies baking. She has a way with words. And she also has a way of bringing back memories. Not memories that she and I have shared together, but memories we have in common.


She wrote about her first car which she named UNFORTUNATE. I was relieved to know that Dan and I are not the only ones who names their vehicles…but that seemed like an odd name. Reading her story, I saw why she happened upon that name for her first car.


I guess it isn’t any better or worse than what I called MY first car….Chick A Boom. Yep, I’ve always had a weakness for using names of songs for something. It was a Chevy but right now I can’t remember if it was a Bellaire or an Impala! But I do know it was blue and had blue interior. I recall there were seat belts but at that time, it wasn’t a law to use them.


When I saved up enough money I had my Chick A Boom painted blue metal flake. She was a pretty car, but she developed a thirst for transmission fluid. I even had her for a while after I got married the first time around (yes, I married young). It seems that I sold her to my brother in law, but I can’t remember for sure. She got me where I needed to go until something a bit better came along.


But yep, most of the vehicles that have entered my life have had a name. Some names were not very original. I had a bright, red, shiny Mustang Mach 1 fastback and just called it Pony Express…Pony for short. After that I had a beautiful forest green Monte Carlo with the landau roof which was in a lighter green. Such a pretty car but ended up being called Not So Lucky.


It was hit in the parking lot at the St. Jo County Fair. No one left any info. The insurance paid for that repair. Then it ended up with funny looking little spots all over it which we assumed came from an irrigation system feeding nitrogen (which was spraying into the road).

The insurance company paid to have it painted. About a year later, I took my daughter (who was about age 8 at that time) to Florida. We flew out of Chicago. When we got back, someone had creamed the back end of the car, as it sat in the hotel parking lot, but it was drivable.

The insurance company fixed that up.


I’d had the car back maybe all of one week. It was sitting in the parking lot of the bank where I worked. We all heard a screeching of brakes and the crunching of metal. Some lady had hit the gas instead of the brake, hit the front end of my Monte Carlo and hit it with enough force that it drove it into the car sitting on the OTHER side of it. I didn’t even get up from my desk. I just looked at one of my staff and said “Don’t tell me that was MY car.” Well it WAS my car.


I hated to even make the call to the insurance company, but I did….and they fixed it again…and then I decided I better sell it before I was maimed while sitting still in it.


My next car was a little Mazda 626 (as I recall) and she was called the Red Ah-So. Her claim to fame? She was fun to drive and was a deer hunter. Yep, you guessed it. On the way to work one day, for whatever reason my Red Ah-So kind of veered to the right. Like a big gust of wind had pushed it around….except it wasn’t windy. I stopped the car because something didn’t seem right. I could see there was a big dent in the HOOD! Not alongside the vehicle, but right in the hood! NOW HOW IN THE HELL DID THAT HAPPEN??? I looked across the road, and there in the ditch was a dead doe! I swear to God, neither my daughter nor I either one saw that deer hit the car (but we could have been looking at each other talking for a moment). This car was repaired but I’d found out that the car had a cracked block so I wasn’t putting any more money into it.


The next car was a Dodge Daytona (couldn’t afford the Chrysler Laser) and I LOVED that car! Nothing bad ever happened to it; it got great mileage (45 mpg on one trip and it had a 13 gallon tank…who says cars have to be electric to get decent mileage?? And this was back about 1983 thereabouts. )

I would have kept the Daytona till it died on its own, but by this time, Dan and I and our 3 combined kids needed something a bit larger that we could all comfortably travel in. As it was, the 3 kids sat squashed in the back of the Daytona while we drove from Lower Mi to tour the U.P. Shawn was so tall, I should have let HIM stick is head out of the sun roof!

I’ve had a few more cars since the Daytona. In fact I even had another Daytona about 4 or 5 years later.


Now I’m into practicality and what is comfortable. My Ford Escape was a pretty good little vehicle (and it would get 25 mpg on a trip), but we traded it off when we got the Bubba, the Dodge Ram.


Hey, I’m through reminiscing about cars I use to have. I could go on, but let’s face it; it’s gotta be pretty boring for you…unless it brings back some memories in the meantime. If it does, feel free to share!

5 comments:

  1. My tractors names are:
    48' Ford: BettyLou for uncle Lou & aunt Betty.
    51.Ford:Dandy for Doug & Sandy.
    53'Ford:JJ for Julie's Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gary / Battle Creek1:38 AM

    "Drive My Car"...still another Beatles song. My first vehicle was a 1963 Chevy Greenbriar (Corvair) van. Get up in morning, check gas, fill oil and off I'd go....paid $35 for it, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tractor Guy, Dan named his tractors too! He's not here where I can ask him what they were (I didn't know him at the time of christening tractors). Good names you came up with!

    Gary, YEP!! Da Beatles! I didn't even know Corvair made a VAN! Do you remember the Opals?? Just think, what you paid for that vehicle won't even fill a gas tank!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think we ever named our cars...they were like foster kids, we never had them (working) long enough to get attached to them long. haaaa My dad used to tease Paul that all he ever saw of him when he came to visit was his boots because he would forever be under one of our beater cars trying to fix them all the time.
    Oh well, no car payments but we always has a good roof over our heads and meals to eat. ha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Retired One, Your last comment made me think you meant your roof over your heads was your car. Sounds like Paul is mechanically inclined! Good for both of ya!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive