Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Saturday, May 22, 2010

BACK IN THE GAME

The Green Weenie runs again!!!


There is a small business not too far from us called Mark’s Rod and Reel; basically a place to buy bait, some hunting stuff, etc. But he has always had a side yard full of old push mowers and old bikes. He cleaned that side yard up here a while back so we didn’t know if he still had “stuff” or not.


I called him yesterday to see if he still had old mowers and explained to him about our two “dead” mowers. He said he might be able to help.


Dan drove down, taking the rewind part of the Green Weenie and the memory of what the red mower’s deck looked like. He returned with the rewind part and a “new” old deck (a red one at that!) for a total of $20.00.


We switched out the mower motor on the red one to the “new” deck, and then proceeded to give it a test run. Due to the difference in where the handlebars attach, Dan’s going to have to drill holes in the top of the “new” deck in order for it to start properly. If he doesn’t do that, then it will require one of us to hold the deck down with our foot while the other pulls the start cord (big safety issue as far as I’m concerned). Otherwise, as you are pulling the cord, the deck “rears” up like it’s pulling a wheelie…and it won’t start that way!

So, he set that aside till today and started in on the green mower. Piece of cake! You should have seen him out there doing his victory dance! The mower is as good as new for being 29 years old!

Dan has the red ones handlebars switched and it runs like new!


We figure we saved close to $300 (IF we had purchased new CHEAP mowers) with his $20 investment!

I’ve been on the big mower for about 6 hours today and I really feel like it. I get off from it about every 35 minutes to check for phone messages and to get a drink, but then I’m back out on it. Dan’s mowing with the other riding mower. I don’t know if I’m up for any more “fun” or not. I’m about “funned” out for the day. The black flies are a bit sadistic and those damn dandelion fuzzes keep getting in my eyes and nose. I put on my head net (no, not like the cooks in the school cafeteria wear but one to keep the bugs out of your face and head) but the fuzz collected to the outside of the net. It’s difficult enough to see through that netting without it being plastered in fuzz.

The neighbors brought us a bunch of rhubarb…probably enough to make a rhubarb pie, if I was defuzzed and if I had some of that Pillsbury roll out pie crust. I’m thinking it might turn into rhubarb crisp instead. THAT I can make without messing it up. As I’ve told you before, my HOMEMADE pie crusts leave a LOT to be desired. It’s pretty bad when the crows won’t even eat it.

6 comments:

  1. Ever since the Pillsbury roll out crusts, I don't even bother making homemade anymore...it is delicious and doesn't give me heartburn, which is a miracle.ha
    Glad you got a good buy on the mower...I mowed our yard today and after bending all day yesterday to weed my many flower gardens, I am IN PAIN...but dang..the yard looks fantastic. ha
    I am all bit up from the black flies too...and I get welts and itch like crazy from them. I noticed today they were less than yesterday though...we get them bad here for only about 2 weeks and they disappear..thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gary / Battle Creek2:22 AM

    Way to go on the lawn mower swap over, as my grandmother always said...."Necessity is the mother of invention". Not claiming it was her saying, but she often repeated it...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats what i would have done!Good deal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tractor Guy, you farm type guys have to make do a lot of times with what is at hand. Dan's good that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gary / Battle Creek1:44 AM

    You don't have to be a farmer, just cheap (ie, frugal). I made a set of guide-ons for my boat trailer out of inch and a half pvc pipe for $10 instead of paying $80 for store bought ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gary you have to work with what you have.nice job on the boat guide-ons.no i am not a farmer just a guy who likes to play with farm tractors.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive