Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Monday, May 24, 2010

AND YOUR BIRD CAN SING (and sing, and sing...)

A young man from Detroit made reservations for one of the cabins. His only big question was “Is it a quiet place?”


I assured him it is quiet and that we don’t operate a party park.

I didn’t think to tell him that we have a drunken bird that starts chirping at 4:44 every morning. And this bird‘s little drunken song CARRIES as if he were using a megaphone. I say he is a drunken bird due to the sound of his song. It goes like this; chirp, chirp chirp, HIC, chirp, chirp, chirp, HIC…over and over. I don’t have a clue what bird it is. He seems to sober up when it is finally daylight…or as soon as I give in and get up for the day.

For the past two mornings, he has been accompanied by some other birds screeching. I had to get out of bed and look outside to see if a bird was being dissected alive. There was the poor female robin in the company of about 4 forceful male robins. And they all had the same idea; MAKE HER WITH CHILD!!! (Or in this case, make her with egg!) TWO MORNINGS IN A ROW!!! Same place in the yard!! And they were so engrossed in what they were doing, that all my “shooing” didn’t faze them a bit.

You know we enjoy birds, but drunken birds and robust robin orgies under our bedroom window tend to make you not quite as appreciative of the little feathered friends.

The deer flies have arrived and the black flies aren’t quite as bad. No sign of mosquitoes yet but then, there isn’t any sign of rain either. Not a good thing. The mowing is about caught up (and yep, we both mowed again yesterday) so all we’ll have to do this week while it is so hot and humid is sit in front of the fan!

7 comments:

  1. I think the robin thing was TMI. hahahaaa
    I woke up at 5:30a this morning to about 20 geese honking back and forth down our lake..don't know what was going on...but it was definitely a geese party going on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gary / Battle Creek1:37 AM

    Avian drunks and orgies.....sounds like a party park to me.....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never a dull moment with those birds :-)
    jj

    ReplyDelete
  4. sfeutz8:26 AM

    I have enjoyed the birds so much this spring. This is the first time we have put seed in the feeder in the springtime and we have missed a lot by not doing so. I am delighted that we have ringed neck doves that are coming to the feeder on a daily basis along with a big variety of other birds. I think I could become a birder if I didn't have to remember all those names!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Retired One, I could have sworn I posted responses yesterday but I don't see them, so what's up with that? My memory melting? I KNOW I posted that the hawk sort of interuppted the robin orgy when he swooped in and picked on off.

    Gary, YOU MISSED A SONG!!! I guess you could say our park is for da birds??!!

    Joanna, they are cheap entertainment!

    Sandy, once you have a bird book in hand and start identifying birds, you'll be amazed at how the names stick with you. I recommened National Geographic Birds of N. America.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gary / Battle Creek11:41 AM

    I still don't see the "hidden" song. Must be losing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gary, it isn't hidden...it is the title. By the Beatles (And your Bird Can Sing). As I recall it is off the Revolver album, but I'd have to check that for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive