Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Thursday, April 29, 2010

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW???

Dan and I went on a date a couple of nights ago.  And before you get any wise ideas, yes, our date was with each other.

Since we haven't gotten the CATV turned on to our property yet, Dan gets pretty bored come evening.  Me, I read a book or play Scrabble on the computer.  But the other night we decided to get wild and crazy.  We went to a movie!  All the way to Newberry!!  (4 1/2 miles south of us).

Clash of the Titans was playing.  Newberry doesn't have a 3-D screen so it wasn't the "dramatic" effects of 3-D.  The price is still only $5.00 per person for adults.  Dan had to have a bucket (what is about 1/2 the size of the buckets that I remember from way back when) of pop corn.  That was $4.00 and I opted for a Snickers which was $1.00.

For those of you who haven't been in the Newberry theatre, you should go if just to look at it.  First of all, the seating is very comfortable with cup holders at each seat.  But the BIG deal is the art work and the "guilded" frames around the art work.  The murals are probably 12' x 12'....all reminding me of something Michelangelo would have painted if  he'd been here to do it.  The ceiling is equally impressive but minus the artwork.  There is pretty lighting (meant to look like old gas lights).

The theatre is small.  I'm guessing it might seat 80-100??  So, the surround sound works very well...almost TOO well.

The movie started quietly enough but as the crescendo built, our ear drums became very startled and tried to retreat.  Helen Keller wouldn't have had an issue hearing what was going on.  I bet if someone stood outside on the sidewalk, they could have heard it all very clearly.  It is so loud that at times it was hard to understand what the characters were saying....and it literally gave me a headache.

I tried once to say something to Dan, something like "Do you know what they said?"  I had to basically yell it in his ear in order for him to hear me but of course by the time I got to the "they said" part of my sentence, the movie had reached a quiet part and all the other people (well, all 6 of the other members of the audience!) heard THAT part of MY question loud and clear.  Naturally....

We might have enjoyed the movie more if it wasn't deafening.

I saw my orthopedist yesterday and I have an MRI scheduled sometime next week with a follow up visit with him 5 days later.  He thinks I probably have a torn meniscus...I think I have a knee cap on backwards and inside out.

We are just about ready to open the campground!!  We figure we'll have it open by May 6th if not before.  We don't have the playground equipment up yet, but that isn't a big deal this early in the season.  It's 26 degrees this morning and only been getting up into the 50's so it's too cold any way!  And  usually we don't start seeing families with kids until closer to Memorial Day.  Dan still has to rototill the volleyball court and the areas under the swings.  Much easier to do that when the playground equipment isn't in the way.  We're just basically waiting for the propane company/repairmen to come and clean the water heaters.

Dan managed to catch a cold and of course we're both hoping I don't get it.  I tried to convince him two mornings ago he was coming down with a cold but of course he said he was not.  Yesterday he was miserable with it and didn't have a good night either.  As badly as HE feels we both know how it will affect me if I end up with it (again, because of the no white blood cell issue).  He has about 2 dozen big red hankies all of which are now in the laundry (guess I better get busy on that!).  He also has two packs of un-opened red hankies but they are so STIFF and rough and his little old nose is already in sad shape....he said if he tied them to the tires of the truck and ran up and down the road 4 or 5 times me might be able to soften those hankies up enough to use on a sore nose!

3 comments:

  1. I think I have seen that theater before! What you are describing sounds incredibly familiar from memories of trips to my uncles property up north Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:42 AM

    Wash those stiff hankies with a 1/2 cup of fabric softener - they will never be stiff again. Works for new jeans - has to work for hankies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sydney, I need to see if the owner would let me go in and take photos some time. Maybe you'd know for sure then. He remodeled it several years ago and I am amazed it is still open due to no more people than attend at one time.

    Anonymous, I may have to break down and buy some fabric softener! I use the sheets. Maybe hair conditioner??

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive