Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

YA BETTER SHOP AROUND

I’ve made no secret of the fact I’m not your run of the mill woman. And it has nothing to do with being a Yooper.

I’ve just never been a girly girl. Oh, in school, I had boyfriends, went to the dances after the games, wore make up; all the things you would have expected of a teenage girl in the 60’s. So maybe at one point in my life I was a little CLOSE to being a girly girl.

But, I don’t take pleasure in shopping, don’t enjoy getting gussied up, don’t have a closet full of shoes and until today only owned one purse…which I’ve had for several years. It is a good purse, so why change it? It went with all the 4 seasons and was easily cleaned. It is about 8” long, 6” high, is wider at the bottom than the top (Huh! Come to think of it, so am I!!!), has one main compartment and two smaller side compartments. It has two small “handles” so there isn’t any way for you to carry it except by hand (not over the shoulder by any means).

The contents of my purse are few; a woman’s billfold which also contains 6 slots for credit cards of which I couldn’t fill. One credit card is enough. There is an area for a check book but I don’t in general carry one with me. There is an area for the driver’s license, some photos and whatever else might fit in those little plastic cover things. In mine I have our emergency contact numbers, a couple of photos, my last Cedar Point Season Pass (kept it because I liked the photo…and it was in 1991!!), my library card and my voter’s registration card. So the billfold holds a good amount of “stuff”.

In my purse I have finger nail clippers, an address book, a small pad of paper, a pen, a church key (AKA bottle opener), 3 Band-Aids, about 6 twisty ties, 3 small bottles of perfume, two of which are about empty. The one that I really hate to see “run out” is my bottle of Forever Krystal. There is hardly anything left in that bottle except for vapors…a wonderful, soft scent. I’m trying hard to not use that because it is such an expensive and hard to find perfume. The other bottle is a small bottle of Coty Wild Musk Oil. And the last one is one that I don’t know how to pronounce for sure but it is quite wonderful too. It is Ici. (And in the medicine cabinet I also have my old standby Tabu, and then there is Ombre Rose and last, but not least is Ciara and it comes in varying “strengths”…mine is 61 for what that is worth! There would be a bottle of Opium but I hate to spend the money on myself like that!! Maybe I am a closeted girly girl??? GAWD!!! Could it be???)

Today, I broke down and bought a larger purse….not really sure why. I really didn’t need it. But I have found this time of being gone 6 months, I HAVE had to carry the check book with me and a few other things that I wouldn’t ordinarily carry with me (like camper keys, more paper, a cell phone, a couple of pens instead of one, a bottle of Advil and I can’t think what else NEW there might be that I’ve had to carry during this trip. And this purse CAN be carried on the shoulder if you want to. It’s about 10” long, about 8” high and the bottom isn’t any bigger than the top (so it won’t sit up all by itself). It is functional.

WHY would I buy it now??? We’re headed home in a week and one day! Why worry about changing things up NOW??? BECAUSE IT WAS ON SALE!!!

Even though I don’t consider myself a girly girl, I still look for bargains…and I still don’t like to shop!

4 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, my purses have progressively gotten bigger. And now, they MUST be shoulder bags because many times, I am carrying my camera everywhere now.
    But the shoes have decreased remarkably since I retired. I shudder to have to think of ever wearing heels again....or skirts..unless we go to a wedding or something. I love the casual freedom retirement has blessed me with now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We women are entitled to shop and treat ourselves. Yay! Are you excited to get back to Michigan? It has been very dry here lately.
    You asked about mosquitos...saw one floating around tonight while I was in my horse barn. Ugh. Safe travels home to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG we really could be good friends. The only reason I even carry a purse is because I need to have an inhaler handy along with my clip on sunglasses. LOL

    Years ago at a bridal shower they had us dump out our purses for a game. Hilarious ~ I remember my sister had two candlesticks, a kitchen knife and fake flowers in hers. She said ~ Don't even ask!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Retired One...I've thought about getting a backpack for those times when a purse and a camera have to be with me....or maybe one of those baby slings so everything is in FRONT of me instead of behind me.

    DVM's Wife...getting a BIT anxious to see da U.P. but not the mosquitoes. ( could have sworn I posted replies yesterday, but I don't see them today....)

    Cher, a very good reason to have your purse if you had medical needs!!! Glad to see I'm not the only one with "weird" things in her purse...AKA twisty ties and your sister with her things!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive