Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

NUTTIN' MUCH

Dan has a new profession.

Let me rephrase that; Dan has a new MISSION in life…or at least what remains of our life here at Lake Bardwell.

He is keeping the grackles and cowbirds at bay. The bird seed is for the cardinals and chickadee dee dees, not the grackles and cowbirds.

My fear is he will wear out his chair, the butt end of his jeans and the screen door all within a few minutes of each other. This unvarying up down, up down, is driving me nuts. It must be getting close to time to head home.

But once we are home, and set up our yard feeders again, he will be busy trying to keep the woodpeckers from pecking our yard trees. I don’t know who he thinks kept the woodpeckers away this winter while we have been gone…maybe there won’t be any trees left IN our yard.

We will be leaving here April 1, weather permitting. By that I mean if it isn’t blowing like hell or snowing. We’re planning on taking our time getting back to Michigan. I’ve already found a county park not too far from Jonesboro, Arkansas that we would like to stay in a couple days or so. From there, we don’t know if we’ll come up through Missouri, or cut across through Tennessee. Again, a lot depends on the weather.

The problem we are encountering is once we get to the Michigan area, there aren’t any campgrounds open!! We want to stop and visit the kids, grandkids and rest of the family and some friends before heading back to reality. We want to be home no later than April 15th (has nothing to do with taxes; just a goal!!) and a lot of parks don’t even open till then! Once we get to Lower Michigan or upper Indiana, we can easily drive the rest of the way home in a day…WEATHER PERMITTING.

I have found another thing that I am anxious to get home for…MY OWN WASHER AND DRYER!!! We were really spoiled at Alligator River by having 2 large washers and 2 large dryers RIGHT THERE for our use!! I only had to make one trip to the Laundromat here to wish I didn’t have to do that every week! The prices are reasonable; it’s just the monotony of the job of sitting and waiting. The dryers do not dry as well as my dryer at home so it seems to take forever, so yep, anxious for my own washer and dryer!

I was kind of bored a couple of days ago (when it was cold, rainy and the wind was howling) so I took a test drive on other blogs. Do you ever do that? Just keep hitting the NEXT BLOG at the top of this page??? I found many of them that hadn’t even had a post in the past 3 months!! Then there were a few I read that someone posted to dependably and I thought to myself “OMG!!! I hope that MY blog isn’t as bad as this one! Or this one! OR this one!!” Some of them were pretty darn mind-numbing! I couldn’t get past the first paragraph on most. But there were some that were WAY over the top of THIS Yooper women’s head!! Then there were some that actually gave me the creeps….I wasn’t sure if this particular person had a secret (well, if he is blogging I guess it isn’t a secret) death wish or what! Some drew cartoon characters, and I don’t mean the Bugs Bunny kind. These were the kind you might see in your nightmare…or would GIVE you a nightmare or two. They had artistic talent BUT I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.

So tell me, are you bored yet??

10 comments:

  1. NO ~ I'm not bored! I actually read the entire thing. (although I am spoiled and like pictures ~ rofl) I'm sure if I were gone I'd miss my own washer and dryer too. We're Yoopers and thinking of becoming snow birds. My rhubarb is poking its nose through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cher...you are a sweetie and thank you. One can't help but wonder sometimes if what they write is really of interest to someone else or if it comes off as a bunch of hooey!! Love the new look of your blog! RHUBARB??!!! WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:33 PM

    hECK NO WE'RE NOT BORED! EVEN MY 18 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER READS YOUR BLOG!!! Keep it coming!! If I had one thing I could tke to play survivor, it would be your blog! it is the first thing I read in the morning! Such is the life of a single dad!!
    Bob from Indiana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not bored yet, Cathy...you will remain one of my "friend blogs" forevermore...especially now that we have met! I loved meeting Shelley too and hope to meet more of my blogger buddies too.
    I don't blame you for wanting to go home by now. It is really nice traveling and having adventures, but it is SO good being home in your own bed and your own property. Besides, we have missed you in the U.P. It will be nice knowing you are back with us, safe and sound. The snow is quickly disappearing, even the woods are changing slowly! I raked my yard today and got about 1/3 done...on the 23rd of March!!!! Can you believe it? I am very worried because my tulips are WAY high and my lilies are also poking up out of ground. I am SURE we will get more snow so it may doom my spring flowers...meantime, I am loving this spring weather where I can be out in just a sweatshirt and raking in the sun! Take Care, we look forward to having you back up here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:36 PM

    I only follow two blogs and yours is one of them. It helps beat the winter blues to read what you and Dan have been doing! Keep it up! I'm not bored!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nope, no boredom here either. I think it's great you get to fly south each winter with the birds. The weather up north has been unseasonably warm, in fact, it was 58 degrees today in north central WI., so I don't think you will have too bad of weather in April. Have a safe trip home...we're making maple syrup already, so are you homesick yet?
    BlessYa and Travel Safe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not bored :)
    English is not my mother language. Sometimes I feel myself like an idiot when I could not find good words to express myself, and sometimes could not understand very well what people is saying.... Maybe that is why I prefer more to reading than talking. I can imagine what you are doing, feeling from what you wrote, and enjoy what you are enjoying. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are leaving for our inaugural trip in our 5th wheel on March 31 and heading to Branson, Missouri on Aoril 2. We have reservations in a campground there but don't know how we are going to do while on the road. I found on in Illinois that opens April 1 but that is one day too late for our first night on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, thanks to ALL of you who posted your warm comments!!! It is appreciated!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not bored.keep up the good work.good reading.enjoy looking for the song title's.you & Dan have a safe trip home. p.s.I bought a 1953 ford tractor that makes three now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive