Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

NUTTIN MUCH

So much for our glorious sunshine!! Today is over cast and a slight possibility of “damaging winds”. To me, that is a concern, but I suppose Texans take it in stride, kind of like Yoopers take blizzard and white out conditions and 18” of snow in stride.

And speaking of blizzards and Yoopers, it sounds like snowmobile trail grooming has come to a halt…at least for now. We all know things can change quickly in da U.P.

Well, Dan was not able to fix the potty problem in the 5th wheel. He managed to get his upper body down into the bathroom but then he was wedged. He tried the file thing and the silicone spray stuff, but the ball thing wouldn’t budge (I’m trying not to get to technical; how’m I doing??). After he got his upper body wedged in the bathroom, he tried to get the cover off the “foot lever” assembly to get to the innards of that, but he was stuck (remember, with his artificial knees he’d be like a turtle on its back trying to run a race).

So, after a few phone calls, we reached someone named Jack who happened to be “on the road and would call us back for directions but would be here today”. GREAT!!! Except, he never called back. I will try him again in a little bit. And HOPE he really WILL be here today!

Remember the other day when I was telling ya the things I would stock up on and bring with us our next trip?? Another thing I remembered is cheese curds!!! We couldn’t find them in N. Carolina or anyplace we grocery shopped between there and here. WHAT IS UP WITH THAT??? Are they just a Yooper thing??? But I DID find UNFROSTED POPTARTS!!! I don’t care for the frosted kind AT all, so I splurged on one box of the brown sugar cinnamon kind. I know they aren’t healthy for me, but once in a blue moon won’t hurt.

We watch the Dallas Ft Worth news stations and there was a story on that really made me feel so badly for a little kid. This little boy, age 7, made a 911 call and saved his family. I figured it was going to be a story about a fire, but it turned out that robbers had broken into their home and had his parents at gun point. This little guy managed to get his little sister and a phone and locked themselves in the bathroom. He called 911 and part of the conversation from his end was something like this:
HELP!! Some bad men broke in and my mom and dad need help! Send police! Send lots of police and send soldiers!! (And he is sobbing).

The 911 operator tried to calm him down and assured him police was on the way. She asked him where he was, etc and he told her he had his little sister in the bathroom and then all you heard was him screaming. The robbers had found him and his little sister! The bad men realized he had called for help and they left before the police arrived and are still on the loose.

Do you think that kid will have nightmares or what??? Isn’t it so very sad that the world has come to this?? Kids should be able to be kids! People should be safe in their own home and yard. This is one of the reasons I don’t like to travel beyond Sault Ste Marie on my own!

Any-hoo, Dan and I still plan on our tourist trip and on the way back, there is a refuge we might stop and visit about 30 minutes from Austin. It is called Balcones Canyonlands NWR…if any of you have been there, let me know if you think it is worth the side trip. There isn’t a LOT of photos online but it sounds very intriguing!

Not much else going on here. Dan has to leave for work in a little bit and I’m waiting for the RV repair man to call…

Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. I saw that on the news too...he looks like a pretty cool kid and I bet he will get through this just fine..he even joked that it was his SISTER screaming, not HIM! I had to laugh at that and thought "good for him!"...but yes, it is awful that kids have to be exposed to this kind of violence! I just got home from our Soo trip and my tail is dragging..had a great time and then Paul and I hiked into the Upper Taq. falls and took wonderful photos there too...and then back home...has been a busy day. I will post it all soon..drove RIGHT by your campground...still pretty snowy there but all looked just fine!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive