Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Monday, March 01, 2010

HE LOST MY NERVE!

My mouth didn't require as much money as originally anticipated...YET.

By the time the dentist came in to numb my mouth I was nervous. I actually was more afraid of the shot I think than the rest of it. The shot wasn't bad at all.

Then the procedure started. I don't like those sounds of drills, suction, and grinding inside my head. I don't like the smell of burning tooth or the feel of it when a tiny little bit hit my cheek. It was HOT!

I had hoped that as he was working he would tell me what he was doing but maybe he figures people don't want to KNOW what each step is.

What seemed like a very long time, which probably wasn't but sure felt like it since I needed a bathroom break, he stopped to tell me that he could not find the other nerve. There was a word he called it but I don't remember what it was. I DO remember the word that came to MY lips; DAMN! He had gotten the one nerve out, but couldn't find the other one, so he was going to take an X-ray. While he and she were getting that set up I took a break.

I didn't bother looking into my mouth while I was in the bathroom...I didn't want to see what a half gone tooth looked like.

Back into The Chair...then the x-ray. He found the nerve IN the x-ray and said he'd try again but he truly felt that it was going to be better to get rid of the tooth because if he could find those two missing nerves and he was able to complete the root canal and get a crown, chances are it wouldn't be successful.

He dug around some more and said he needed to pull the tooth. I got another shot for this event. I asked for a shot of whiskey but with my lips numb and part of my face numb I think he misunderstood me. I think he thought I asked him to whistle....cause he did...for a moment...then I realized it was one of those "oh boy" type whistles'.

I got a glimpse of a few of the tools that were inside my mouth and I finally unclenched my hands from each other and grabbed the arms of the chair. The tooth would NOT come out! He was pulling so hard that I was concerned it would give way and he would end up cracking an upper tooth when it gave way. My toenails were curled...just in case he went that far.

He drilled some more, used another sharp pointy thing, drilled some more, came back with the tooth puller outers...and finally, in bits and pieces my tooth came out.

I was immediately packed with gauze. And then he showed me my tooth, in bits and pieces and showed me where the crack was. What a mess that was....

So, when we get home to Newberry, I need to see about getting a tooth (a bridge??).

While I commend this dentist and his staff for the excellent customer service, their level of caring and professionalism, it still doesn't make going to the dentist any easier!

I've got more penicillin (I have to be careful due to the lack of a good immune system for which no Dr can figure out why) and more pain pills. He said I shouldn't need the pain pills and so far I don't...but then I still have blubber for lips. And I'm fixing spaghetti for supper???!!!

7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Cathy! Sounds like one of MY trips to the dentist (i really really dislike going there also). At least it sounds like he was competant. Hope you don't need the pain pills. -- Terry D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm... I was thinking it was time I should book an appointment, but now i am thinking that maybe it can wait... At least until I forget this blogpost. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gary H3:32 AM

    Cathy, you are right about the Chambers Brothers....brain fart on my part, happens to the best of us.....lol. I'm glad everything ended up okay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. TDE, I finally took a pain pill before bed last night and it didn't even kick in till about 10:30 (2 hours later). I basically was counting the minutes till I could take another one! What hurt wasn't even where the tooth had been but everything else on that side of my face. Better so far this a.m.

    Wendy, DON'T PUT IT OFF. If this had been just a "simple" root canal, it should have been a piece of cake, but things are just never simple for me.

    Gary, Hey, I've made errors on even titles of the songs when I'd get ready to use the title and have to look it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, Cathy. I could feel your anxiety and pain while reading this and found myself gripping the couch I am on while reading it. YIKES.
    I am so glad it is behind you. Now do you feel a big gaping HOLE in your mouth until you get that bridge??? I hate the feeling of your mouth not seeming "right" after a dental procedure.
    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Retired One...as far as feeling the gaping hole...I'm trying like hell to avoid feeling it! Just knowing it is there is enough for me! And I'm afraid to start chewing on that side (that was one of my chewing teeth!) so my jaw is tired. I'm not sure if I'm going to get the bridge. You can't see the area unless I OPEN WIDE and I don't do that a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive