Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Sunday, February 14, 2010

GREEN ONIONS

We've both been having such a craving for Mexican food and there are a bevy of restaurants in Ennis to chose from...which is the problem! We can't find out which one people think is THE best!

So, today is grocery day and we will get our OWN ingredients to make our own Mexican food. Believe me, there are LOTS of things to pick from in the grocery stores in regards to Mexican cooking, but one thing I haven't noticed in the produce aisle is green onions!! We have to have green onions finely chopped on top of what ever it is we make! Hopefully it is just that we have overlooked the green onions.

Since putting the little bitty cheap bird feeder out on the lone tree to the door side of our camper, we have cardinals, sparrows, chickadees, blue jays, occasional blue birds, and some kind of a warbler. We've also been trying to entice birds by placing seed on the ground (since the feeder is almost too small for more than two chickadees) and a suet "basket" on a bare tree on the other side of the camper. We've had killdeer ALMOST into our yard and crows are venturing up to see what is going on. We plan on getting a larger feeder today and another block of suet.

We would have brought our own bird feeder(s) and a pole or two along except that when we were at Alligator River we couldn't feed the birds due to the bears. I've already checked to see if we can put out feeders at Coopers Furnace (where we will be in Georgia next fall/winter) so we will be prepared next year.

Speaking of Alligator River, Dan and I both miss it at times. If they will have us again, we most likely will try to go back maybe in a couple of years. The work there was a lot different from here and there were more photo opportunities there too. I'm not complaining about where we currently are or what we do here, but it is like the exact opposite of Alligator River. And we would probably come back here again in the future...when the weather of the world is back to normal (whatever that is!)!!

Dan is a very brave man. He did a very courageous thing yesterday. He threw away his favorite cap. The cap had to have been at least 8 years old. The bill had lost most of the material so it was basically just black plastic showing. The 'button' on the top of the hat was missing so there was a good size hole there where the material "comes together", the size adjustment thing was broken and was held together in two places with the handyman's helper...duct tape. There was a section, probably 2 inches square that was so thin that it had frayed. I've teased him about this cap for a long time. And he has even embarrassed himself by forgetting to remove it and put a better cap on when we were going some place. So, yesterday, this brave fellow put his cap in the dumpster. This morning, on our way back from the shower, Dan had to check to make sure the cap was still in the dumpster. Not sure why that was important to him.

I've been trying to find another one just like it for his birthday which is in March, but I don't think I'll find one here! It was given to him by a local guy (Curtis area) that owns and operates HUNTER GARAGE DOORS. And that was what was written on the front of the cap, and it was green camouflage. I've tried to find an email address for Danny (the owner) but can't come up with one. So my 2nd choice for Dan's birthday is to get him a dinner fork from Outback! I don't think I'll have much luck with that either! Dan said at least one thing that WILL be changed before we head out next year is our tableware. We are using cheap, chintzy forks and knives; I probably picked up at a yard sale some time in my life. So, I've been searching to see where Outback gets THEIR table service so I could get him a fork, knife and spoon or at least just a darn fork!! I've got about a month yet and I haven't given up!!

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:13 PM

    i can relate to the hat thing; myhubby is the same way. and i think your song is by booker t and the mg's?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous, Yep, it is Green Onions by Booker & the MG's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can't just throw away a HAT.you need to have a proper service for it by burning it and saying a few words.Just like a Flannel shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so funny about the hat and Dan! (But for your sake, I am glad he finally gave it up! Otherwise, all of those Texans are going to be talking about the guy that came from Michigan with the duct taped hat when you leave there. ha) You know, Texans LOVE their hats and take great pride in them.
    Hope you get warmer weather there soon and get out and about more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If it was the cap for your husband it's a weather and age beaten wooden paper pad for me. I got it when i was in my primary school. It was on it that I wrote all the exams in my school and I still use it at times when I've to draft a hand-written letter and other stuff. And yes! I still haven't got the courage to throw away that paper pad which has stayed with me for almost 20 years now.

    And isn't it funny that men call women possessive?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tractor guy...I told Dan about a week ago that if he didn't stop wearing that hat (didn't say he had to throw it out) that when we got home, I was going to start wearing that 15 year old polar fleece jacket of mine that HE hates.

    Retired one, have seen a LOT of different type caps and hats here! Make mes wonder how some of these people get in their vehicle with that big hat on!

    Ekanthapadhikan, WOW! I bet there has been some interesting times for that pad. Hopefully it is one you can add more paper to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your husband actually threw away a piece of "clothing"!!!! How did that happen? What's the secret and will it work on tee shirts????

    I've been swamped lately, Cathy and I'm just catching up on my reading. Hope all's well with you and you're feeling good. I'm off to read more.

    jj

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joanna, Boy, I don't know what the secret is other than he actually has embarrassed himself a couple of times! Of course he used the excuse he wanted me to stop nagging him about the cap.

    Yep, I'm feeling good! Enjoying what we are doing, just wish the weather would get to normal!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive