Welcome to Yooper Yarns! Please don't be shy; become a follower! I know you are out there!

About Me

My photo
A long time ago, I was a child. (I started out as Cathy First from Colon, Mi.) For the past several years I’ve been an adult. A lot of things went on between those two stages of life; probably no more or no less than anyone elses. My husband and I moved to “da U .P” from southern Lower Michigan several years ago (yes we were trolls at one time). We owned and operated and operate Clementz’s Northcountry Campground and Cabins just north of Newberry, Michigan until May 2015. We have grown kids and grandkids (who all live downstate). My passion is life and all that Nature has to offer us and trying to photograph it in unique ways. Our intention in life is to see all that Nature has to offer us. We hope that you will be a part of our adventures as we cruise through our lives together. Come back often!

Wednesday, February 03, 2010

DREAM WEAVER

Do you ever wonder what animals dream about? Or maybe you don’t think they dream?

I think they dream, especially dogs. They have all kinds of things they can dream about; a run in the park, chasing cars, chasing cats, chasing rabbits…surely you’ve seen a dog “run” while it is sleeping. And what about cats? They must dream too. I think they must have about the same type of dreams that dogs have. They might even dream of getting your prize goldfish out of the fish bowl! I’ve seen a cat shake a paw while it was sleeping, as if to shake water off that paw.

But what about other critters? I think the only thing a goldfish could dream about would be a nightmare about a cat trying to get in his fish bowl….other than that, what does that fish have? There’s only so much thinking to be done in order to “stay afloat” and breathe under water…and wait for food.

And what about our bovine friends? Dairy cows come to mind. It’s not like they can go for a romp in the pasture, not very gracefully anyway…they’ve got that big bag full of milk which would make running gracefully rather difficult. So what do they dream about? Some farmer with cold hands putting the cow’s udders into a milking machine or even doing it the old fashioned way by hand?? Do they dream about lying in the pasture and chewing their cud? How exciting IS their life??

Horses, on the other hand, can do all kinds of things! They can be a pleasure horse, a show horse, a race horse, a work horse…you get the idea. They have excitement in their lives! If they are really lucky, someone will curry their coat, comb their mane and tail, pick stones out of their hooves. They have to have dreams, nice dreams….even if they do mostly sleep standing up.

So what are your thoughts on animals dreaming? Do you have a pet that snores, makes weird noises or strange movements in their sleep? DID YOU EVER EVEN CONSIDER ANY OF THESE THINGS BEFORE READING THIS TODAY??!!!

Speaking of bovine Dan and I are going to visit a long horn ranch as soon as it dries up a bit. I did a search to see if there were any long horn cattle ranches near by and there is! They have photos of their prize bulls on their web site and they are BEAUTIFUL! I emailed them (the owners, not the bulls) and asked if they would indulge a couple of people from Michigan (also let them know we use to be farmers a LONG time ago). The owner emailed back and said “As you can imagine, things are quite wet right now. In fact I bet it is drier at the bottom of Lake Bardwell than here on the ranch! But as soon as things dry up, we’ll be in touch and be happy to give you a tour!” Well, it could be a while since there is rain in the forecast again!


(do you know who sang the title of today's post??)

6 comments:

  1. Gary / Battle Creek12:06 PM

    "All I Have To Do Is Dream" - The Everly Bros., "Gunner's Dream" - Pink Floyd, "Dreams" - Fleetwood Mac......I can't find a song titled simply "Dream". There are also songs by Gary Wright, Aerosmith, Molly Hatchett, Van Halen, and Tchaikovsky. Am I getting close ? LOL...Have a nice day !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought of the Everly
    Brothers, too when I saw the title.

    That tour should be fun! I can't wait to see the photos.

    As far as animals dreaming? Lord only knows! Heck, I have dreams totally unrelated to anything I do in real life,so maybe they do too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gary and Retired One and anyone else who may have seen the post earlier today...MY MISTAKE!!! I LEFT OUT A WORD OF THE TITLE!!! CHECK IT OUT AGAIN!!! I DO know the song by the Everly Brothers so I can see why you would have thought that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gary / Battle Creek, MI1:53 AM

    Dream Weaver is by Gary Wright, I saw him in concert in Austin,TX back in 1976 while stationed at Ft. Hood as a helicopter mechanic in the army.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gary, Dan was at Ft Hood too!!! But I don't think he saw Gary Wright!! I had no idea you were a chopper mechanic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gary / Battle Creek12:56 PM

    Only while in the the army....."jack of many trades", master of none......LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Yooper Yarns and leaving a comment!

Blog Archive